monitor profiling packages

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Bill Hilton, Apr 13, 2005.

  1. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Bill Hilton, Apr 13, 2005

  2. Bill Hilton

    Mark² Guest

    Thanks Bill!

    A timely post from you...once again...for me.

    -Mark

    Mark², Apr 14, 2005

  3. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    Mark M writes
    Mark, have you decided which one to buy? I was going to upgrade to the
    Eye-One since I know several people who use it and like it, but after
    the review I'm considering the Optix XR Pro ... I just don't know
    anyone actually using it and would like to get a 2nd opinion :)

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Apr 14, 2005
  4. Bill Hilton

    Mark² Guest

    If you believe this review is credible (and it appears credible to me, even
    if it didn't go into as much detail as I would have liked), I think the
    Monaco Optix XR Pro looks like a good choice too. I'll be checking on-line
    for prices/availability this evening, and will likely go with it. Because
    my primary screen is not an LCD, I was taking special notice that the Optix
    did well with ALL of the LCD displays (though interestingly it did less well
    with CRTs).

    I claim no particular expertise on calibration devices, though, so another
    opinion may be worth seeking.
    :)
    I have done quite well so far, but ust don't have too much experience with
    this particular tool.

    -Mark

    Mark², Apr 15, 2005
  5. MacWorld recently did a review on the major color management devices.

    http://www.macworld.com/2005/03/reviews/monitorcalibrator/index.php

    There was also a thread recently on comp.graphics.apps.photoshop about
    the various devices and their easy of use and quality. The major
    problem with Monaco seemed to be very poor documentation.

    "Times change and men often change with them, but
    principles never!"

    Alexander H. Stephens
    "A Constitutional View of the Late War Between
    the States, Its Causes, Character, Conduct and
    Results". 1868

    John A. Stovall, Apr 15, 2005
  6. Bill Hilton

    rafe bustin Guest

    I'm not Mark but will put in a good word
    for the Gretag Eye-1, on both CRT and LCD.
    Seems to fare well in the Outback review also.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Apr 15, 2005
  7. Bill Hilton

    Mark² Guest

    Do you personally use this?
    I'd be interested to hear specifics if you have any.
    As I said to Bill...I'm not in a position to have a strong opinion beyond
    what I'm reading...
    Thanks.

    -Mark

    Mark², Apr 15, 2005
  8. Bill Hilton

    rafe bustin Guest

    What's to say? Monitor calibration and profiling
    It takes about five minutes.

    I've used the Eye-1 Monitor for about a year now,
    first on a Viewsonic CRT and now on a Samsung LCD.

    "Real World Color Management" has simple tests of
    monitor profiles, and the Gretag fared very well
    on both.

    You can find the Gretag for around $200.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com

    rafe bustin, Apr 15, 2005
  9. Bill Hilton

    Bill Hilton Guest

    John Stovall writes ...

    Thanks for the link ... interesting that MacWorld rates the ColorVision
    Spyder2 ahead of the Optix NR Pro and Eye-One while the Outback review
    rated the Spyder2 well behind those two ... maybe it's a Mac vs IBM
    thing, or maybe it's because the Mac guy made prints and compared to
    the screen ...

    Bill

    Bill Hilton, Apr 15, 2005