    RED....anyone know what's causing this....it is an old shitty monitor, but i
    don't see why it should just happen as i bought it , especially as it was OK
    at his house.....No, he wouldn't rip me.................all the best FRED

    fredcromer, May 6, 2004

  2. fredcromer

    Robert Baer Guest

    The monitor has been used a lot, and a solder connection at the CRT
    socket opened up.
    This failure mechanism is common and easy (for an electronic tech) to
    repair, giving additional useable life from 2-4 years.
    Monitor disconnected and unplugged *NO* power!!
    Remove the back of the monitor case, and then reliably connect a
    grounding wire at the chassis and then poke other (baer) end under the
    high voltage cap at the CRT, to short the high voltage out to the
    chassis ground (for safety).
    Unsolder the metal shield around the PCB that is at the back end of
    the CRT; ther aer some tabs that will also have to be straightened to be
    able to remove that shield.
    Use solder wick and remove most of the solder globs at the CRT socket
    connector on the PCB.
    Then apply fresh solder (do not need as much as original), taking care
    to have a good solder connection (*NO* cold solder joints).
    Re-solder the shield back on; do not bother to twist the tabs - a
    waste of time now and the next time you fix it.
    Pull the shorting wire from the CRT cap and disconnect from chassis.
    Re-assemble the case, and you are in business for anumber of years.
    Here in the US, it costs $60 or more just to "bench" a monitor; you
    want a friend that is an electronic tech to do this for free.
    I have repaired many monitors this way.

    Robert Baer, May 6, 2004

  3. fredcromer

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Your advice would be the most irresponsible, and dangerous advice I have
    ever seen offered.

    Oldus Fartus, May 6, 2004
  4. fredcromer

    Thor Guest

    I've seen many do this due to a simple poor connection from an internal
    molex plug on the main board. Monitors are usually full of wires plugged
    into sockets using plastic connectors, and after many heat/cool cycles, some
    just don't make very good connections after awhile. I've found that simply
    and methodically unplugging and re-connecting each one of these will often
    fix the problem. Another place to check is for a faulty VGA cable, or
    socket.

    Thor, May 6, 2004
  5. fredcromer

    Jerry G. Guest

    The monitor due to its age has probably gone intermittent on some of the
    solder connections. Or, there may be some components failing. Since the red
    is the faulty channel, the problem is most likely in the path of the red
    processing. After a certain amount of hours they will all eventually fail.
    The average lifespan for a monitor is about 30,000 to 50,000 hours,
    depending on many factors.

    An experienced tech with the proper training and tools can service the
    monitor for you. There are many safety issues to be concerned with. I would
    strongly suggest you do not service this monitor yourself, unless you comply
    to the qualifications necessary.

    You may find that the cost of servicing a monitor may be too expensive in
    relation to buying a new one. When buying a used monitor, there are usually
    going to be a lot of hours on it, therefore basically you are buying a
    monitor that is very close to being used up.

    --

    Greetings,

    Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
    WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

    My mate, sold me this computer for 70 quid..when i was at his house on it,
    the monitor was fine, anyway...when i bought it, (3 mths ago), after a day
    or 2, the 'red' took a while to flicker on..it became longer intervals, now
    it could be the case that if i pick the right program to run, i get my

    Jerry G., May 6, 2004
  6. fredcromer

    Robert Baer Guest

    One color going out, or flickering before going out, indicates the
    solder connection at the CRT socket has gone bad; nothing else.
    I have seen this and fixed so many that i do not need to use the
    safety grounding wire that i mentioned.
    Only an experienced electronic technician should do the work; i
    recommend the grounding wire for others.

    Robert Baer, May 7, 2004
  7. fredcromer

    Thor Guest

    Simply not true. A bad VGA cable can cause it (VGA cables handle the red,
    green and blue signals on separate wires). A poor connection from the wires
    leading to the PCB on the back of the tube can cause it. It has more
    potential causes than just a bad solder connection on that PCB. I don't deny
    that what you claim is a *frequent* cause of it, but it by no means is the
    ONLY cause. I have fixed monitors with this problem also. One of my bench
    monitors did this and after I fixed it by replacing the VGA cable, it has
    worked perfectly for going on 6 years now.
    I believe it unwise for any technician to not take the proper safety
    precautions and short the secondary anode connection on the tube to ground
    in order drain any residiual charge.

    Thor, May 7, 2004
  8. fredcromer

    Robert Baer Guest

    Perhaps one percent of the color failures is due to a faulty cable
    *at* the connector that goes to the computer, due to a severe bend
    caused by the user pushing the computer against a wall of some sort.
    I have seen no other causes, and like i said, i have encounters a lot
    of these color outage problems.
    I did not mention the cable problem due to the rarity i have seen
    (once only in 40 years).

    Robert Baer, May 8, 2004