    drivers have been loaded, they take over from the on-board stuff -- but
    I'm pretty well in the dark here.)

    Assistance appreciated.

    Harvey Van Sickle, Feb 14, 2004

  2. Harvey Van Sickle

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Harvey Van Sickle posted ...
    Have you set a default 'Degauss' maintenance step on the monitor for every
    power up ? This is normally done on the monitor itself ..

    Paul - xxx, Feb 14, 2004

  3. On 14 Feb 2004, Paul - xxx wrote
    Yes -- it degausses each time I turn the monitor on (default
    behaviour). Just in case, I also did an extra "while the power's on"
    degauss -- but it hasn't helped.

    Harvey Van Sickle, Feb 14, 2004
  4. Harvey Van Sickle

    Mistoffolees Guest

    Probably something overlooked, such as loudspeakers in the
    immediate vicinity of the monitor. The problem is occurring
    in VGA-mode, during POST and prior to the GUI-SVGA mode of
    the Windows display. Could be more sensitive due to presence
    of external perturbations.

    Mistoffolees, Feb 14, 2004
  5. [/QUOTE]

    re: pulsating monitor image at boot-up, prior to Windows splash screen-
    Hadn't thought of the speakers -- they're relatively close -- but my
    current setup's been in place for a couple of months, and it's just
    started doing this. (Is the effect likely to have kicked in after a
    couple of months?)

    Harvey Van Sickle, Feb 14, 2004
  6. Harvey Van Sickle

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Harvey Van Sickle posted ...
    OK .. I thought you may have been mistaking a degauss 'wobble' for the
    effect you describe.

    Only other thing I can think of is speakers, as mentioned by Mistoffolees,
    or some other external strong magnetic influence, say a printer, or other,
    power supply, a dodgy power supply, a dodgy power circuit in the house etc
    etc .. ;)

    Hope you find the cause, there's nothing worse than an annoying display
    problem.

    Paul - xxx, Feb 14, 2004
  7. Harvey Van Sickle

    Tritium Guest

    re: pulsating monitor image at boot-up, prior to Windows splash screen-

    Hadn't thought of the speakers -- they're relatively close -- but my
    current setup's been in place for a couple of months, and it's just
    started doing this. (Is the effect likely to have kicked in after a
    couple of months?)
    [/QUOTE]

    But it is very easy for the loudspeakers to have shifted
    slightly closer to the monitor or for the electromagnetic
    field to have been altered by other ferromagnetic items
    coming into the area or even slight changes in the power
    line. Move the speakers; shift the monitor position a
    little and see what happens.

    Tritium, Feb 15, 2004
  8. Harvey Van Sickle

    Sano Guest

    What's the brand and model?

    <my story>

    My Sony Trinitron E210 (17 inch) took a crap at about a year old, maybe a
    little older. The warranty is 3 years. It did act odd, for about aweek
    before it died.

    I started the process to swap it out, you know, they wanted my blood type
    and everything. I was concerned I'd get a replacement with *any* sort of
    surface screen defect. But I agreed to a swap out.

    Around 4 days later, <blink> the replacement showed up.

    Evidently this model, or manuf. run, had problem(s), and they bypassed all
    the verification crap. The replacement was perfect, and still is.

    One point... if you do have to swap it out, send it the cheapest possible.
    You shouldn't need any insurance. I see you're UK. (But) I sent mine UPS
    and they don't send anything without insurance. Which is a scam, IMO. In my
    book it ought to be part of the shipping charge, since it can't be
    declined. Rrrrr.

    <end of story>

    Sano, Feb 15, 2004
  9. On 14 Feb 2004, Paul - xxx wrote

    -snip-
    Printer? There's a thought -- I knew of the magnetic force from
    speakers, but hadn't considered the printer.

    When I rearranged the room a couple of months ago (new desk unit), I
    placed the speakers and a cheapo inkjet printer on the shelf above the
    monitor -- there's about a four-inch gap between the top of the monitor
    and the shelf.

    Sounds worth moving the kit elsewhere to see if it settles down.

    Thanks for the ideas.

    Harvey Van Sickle, Feb 15, 2004
  10. Harvey Van Sickle

    Sano Guest

    Harvey,

    Here's a NEC diagnostic page. <hmmmp>

    http://www.necmitsubishi.com/support/css/tshoot/index.htm

    <snip>

    Sano, Feb 15, 2004
  11. On 15 Feb 2004, Sano wrote
    Thanks for that, Sano -- I'll go through their steps and see if it
    helps.

    (I have a suspicion it'll be something to do with the positioning of my
    speakers and printer, so I'll also see what they say in there about
    it.)

    Harvey Van Sickle, Feb 15, 2004
  12. Harvey Van Sickle

    Sano Guest

    I'd hope so too! <g>

    Sano, Feb 15, 2004
  13. Harvey Van Sickle

    Shel-hed Guest

    Make sure you do a complete reset.
    When mine acted up, I thought the picture tube had gone south. A reset fixed it.
    Check your manual to see if there are two types of reset. You want the one that wipes
    everything out.

    Shel-hed, Feb 15, 2004
  14. On 14 Feb 2004, Harvey Van Sickle wrote
    -snip-

    Just an update and to say thanks to all who replied.

    I moved the inkjet printer and speakers from the shelf above the
    monitor; the instability remained for the better part of a week, but
    by this morning has gone away.

    (I tried doing a factory reset, which at least initially didn't have
    any effect, but giving it a few days seems to have allowed whatever
    magnetic problems I'd created to fade away.)

    Thanks again.

    Harvey Van Sickle, Feb 21, 2004
  15. Harvey Van Sickle

    ICee Guest

    Thanks for letting us know what fixed it. I had a similar problem with
    a friend's monitor, and to make a long story short, it turned out to be
    a nearby window fan that was causing the magnetic interference.

    ICee, Feb 21, 2004
  16.
    Misa Mirkovic, Feb 21, 2004