Monitor in sleep mode

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by JayJay, Nov 25, 2007.

  1. JayJay

    JayJay Guest

    Posting a question on behalf of a friend.

    New computer with Vista Home Premium, components includes the
    following.
    Asus P5N-E Socket T Motherboard.
    Asus nVidia GeForce 8400GS PCI-Express Video Card.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 2.33Ghz CPU
    ViewSonic VG2021 Monitor.

    The machine works perfectly apart from one problem, which is; After
    installing a USB device such as a Keyboard and Mouse, or a printer the
    monitor boot up in (sleep mode?) and canÿt be woken up. The only way
    to get the monitor to be seen is by pressing the reset button which
    gives the message that the machine has been incorrectly switched off.
    The computer and devices then works correctly without a problem.
    Yesterday, they had a cable modem installed onto the Ethernet
    connection and the same problem happened again - reboot and monitor in
    sleep mode forcing a reset.
    Power setting has the ´never turn off hard drive or monitor set¡.
    Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem? Or is the situation
    normal with Vista?

    JayJay, Nov 25, 2007

  2. JayJay

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    I suggest that you post to MS.Public.Windows.Vista.General or Setup_Install,
    as I have seen posts made about gong into and coming out sleep with Vista,
    which can be accessed at msnews.microsoft.com.

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 25, 2007

  3. JayJay

    JayJay Guest

    Okay, thanks, have taken your advice and posted into the group
    suggested.

    JayJay, Nov 25, 2007
  4. JayJay

    chuckcar Guest

    And what does it say beside system standby? If it doesn't say never,
    change it to that, hit apply then ok and get back to us if you still
    have the problem. BTW leaving a computer on for more than an hour or two
    is a *bad* idea with MS mindows. You're asking for trouble down the line
    for numerous reasons. Use shutdown when it's longer than that.

    chuckcar, Nov 25, 2007
  5. JayJay

    JayJay Guest

    Rubbish.

    JayJay, Nov 25, 2007
  6. JayJay

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    <VBG>

    I don't know what that person is talking about either. ;-)

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 25, 2007
  7. JayJay

    Rôgêr Guest

    That's some the dumbest advice I've seen given out in here for some time.

    Rôgêr, Nov 25, 2007
  8. JayJay

    chuckcar Guest

    You ask for advice and then discount the only advice you're given. Nice.
    The reason is that just *one* improper shutdown will foul sleep so it
    won't work properly and windows won't be able to come out of sleep.
    Isn't that last your problem? Don't see a connection? The fact of the
    matter is that windows was written using C++ and stopping memory leaks
    in C++ is difficult at best and mostly not worried about, so they happen
    leading to slowdowns when windows is run for extended periods of time.
    This means that unless you wait *every* single time for the computer to
    respond no matter how long it takes, sleep will become fouled period.

    chuckcar, Nov 25, 2007
  9. JayJay

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    What does this have to do with the monitor going into sleep mode? I have
    used Win 2k, XP and Vista, with XP at the job currently using dual large
    flat screen monitors side by side, and the machines have been used for long
    periods of time (hours) and not experienced what you are talking about. I
    don't see the point you are trying to make here.

    Mr. Arnold, Nov 25, 2007
  10. JayJay

    Rôgêr Guest

    I've never turned this machine off and left it. Been using it about 3
    years. I may restart every week or two. But none of your dire
    predictions have come about. Plus I use two to three computers and with
    the exception of the one I rarely use, same story. This is XP SP2, on
    the other side of the room it's XP 64.

    In other words, I agree with JayJay's assessment of your advice.

    Rôgêr, Nov 26, 2007
  11. JayJay

    JayJay Guest

    My answer to your advice was "Rubbish" after reading your second
    message I haven't changed my mind:)

    JayJay, Nov 26, 2007
  12. JayJay

    chuckcar Guest

    Well, considering the fact that this "JayJay" and uses a open free
    server has no posts outside of this thread existing in this group, he
    very well could be a sock puppet of a local troll we know all too well.
    As for the sleep mode, have you have physically turned off the computer
    while it was in sleep? if you had you *would* have that problem,
    guaranted. I fielded *hundreds* of calls on just that problem a few
    years back.

    chuckcar, Nov 26, 2007
  13. JayJay

    chuckcar Guest

    It's not the monitor going to sleep, it's the computer. You never said
    anything about changing the system standby setting either. Try this: go
    into device manager, bring up the properties of your USB Root Hub under
    Universal serial bus controller, put a check mark in disable in this
    profile, click ok. Then open up floppy disk controllers, remove the
    standard floppy disk controller, open system devices and remove both the
    ACPI system button and the ACPI power button it will ask you to restart,
    say *no*. Those last three is a repair for corrupted PM. then run sfc,
    and extract explorer.exe (icon of a computer) it will ask you to
    restart, say yes this time. When it boots up again, it will add clean
    drivers of those three things. See if the problem happens. If it
    doesn't, then the problem is with the driver for your USB controller or
    the device(s) not being NT compatible and you'll have to find NT
    compatible drivers. If you want, you can reenable the host controller by
    removing the check mark you put there earlier, but you would get that
    problem back.

    chuckcar, Nov 26, 2007
  14. JayJay

    JayJay Guest

    The fact that I rarely use this newsgroup might be because people like
    yourself give incorrect advice. I have no idea about the person you
    refer too (local troll) but whoever they are, they would have, to have
    more computer knowledge than yourself. I have in intention to start an
    argument in this group so this will be my last posting here.

    JayJay, Nov 26, 2007
  15. JayJay

    chuckcar Guest

    Please accept my apologies, it was late, I'm hounded by a nym-shifting
    troll: Steve/Tony/Milano Man/etc and These were pretty basic windows
    troubleshooting steps to be questioned. Of course you're not the above,
    My bad.

    chuckcar, Nov 26, 2007