Monitor goes in and out of focus and dark areas tinted green

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by gremlin_dude, Jun 29, 2006.

  1. gremlin_dude

    gremlin_dude Guest

    Hi. i bought a monitor the other day, a 19in Philips Brilliance
    109P-40. Well, it wasnt new (i think its a few years old at most), and
    i got it for a bargain so if u tell me its screwed, then i'm not too
    bothered.

    Anywho, when the monitor is on, dark areas appear to have a dark green
    tint to them and the green seems to flicker (this makes gaming very
    annoying, especially in dark games like FEAR).

    The other problem with it is that it seems to go in and out of focus a
    lot to the point that text isnt readable at times(the res i use is
    1280x1024, but 1024x768 is also blurry). i have found a solution to
    the blurriness but it isnt one i would like to use long term. I have
    found that turning the contrast right down in ATI Catalyst settings
    makes it nice and clear, but turning it down only slightly doesnt do
    much. This doesnt help the flickering green-ness tho. I have ordered
    a new VGA cable to try and see if it helps, but i dunno if it will.
    Anybody have any ideas on this or anybody experienced and fixed it?

    Thanks

    =============
    gremlin_dude

    gremlin_dude, Jun 29, 2006

  2. gremlin_dude

    gremlin_dude Guest

    Just to update, the contrast is down but the text is still slightly out
    of focus. I guess i was wrong in assuming dropping the contrast
    helped.

    gremlin_dude, Jun 29, 2006

  3. gremlin_dude

    JANA Guest

    Your description indicates that the picture tube (CRT) is on the weak side,
    and thus is not able to be biased properly. The focus changing would most
    likely be a fault with the high voltage multiplier. The multiplier is
    usually part of the flyback assembly.

    This monitor would not be feasible for you to have serviced. You should have
    tried the monitor before taking it, if you paid something for it. See if
    they will take it back, and let you try out other monitors.

    --

    JANA
    _____

    JANA, Jun 30, 2006
  4. gremlin_dude

    Demnos Guest

    You could see if there are any drivers out on the net that are COLOR MATCHED
    for yourmonitor to your video card. also check with you video card manf to
    see if they have special drivers for your monitor.
    demnos

    Demnos, Jul 1, 2006
  5. gremlin_dude

    meow2222 Guest

    Green background is not sdjusted correctly. But since it varies, it
    could not be set correct, the thing is faulty. Most likely just a dirty
    pot, wiggling the green channel pots back and forth a _little_ would
    probably cure it, then you'd need to set the green channel settings up
    correctly again.

    A lead fault would affect high brightness levels more than dark, so I
    doubt its that.

    most likely insulation breaking down in the eht or focus areas. Might
    also be a bad connection on the pcb or a burnt focus adjustment. Its
    not a quick simple or cheap repair, and will probably get worse.
    Nothing to do with poor tube emission.

    Replace the monitor is the only real solution.

    NT

    meow2222, Jul 11, 2006