    COM object IS, but I still seem to be able to do what I want to do in Monad.
    Though I admit, the whole verb-subject syntax is way too wordy for me, so
    I've made a whole bunch of aliases to get around that. :)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 17, 2006

  2. Thanks Charlie. Gotit. Scrutinizing the doc's now.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jan 17, 2006

  3. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 17, 2006
  4. Well, I doubt it. Frankly, Korn Shell is my native tongue, learned before I
    knew English. (My UK friends would tell you I _never_ learned English, but
    that's a different issue.) But I'd like to become at least bilingual in it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  5. Charlie Russel - MVP

    jacob navia Guest

    Charlie Russel - MVP a écrit :
    Well...

    Downloaded it and started it. Takes like 15 seconds just to start
    (machine AMD64 1 year old, 2GHZ, 1GB RAM, 500GB disk)

    Then, I wanted to do something with it. I wanted to locate a file in a
    directory tree, i.e. doing

    dir /S edit5.c

    I came out with something I expected it to do:

    MSH D:\lcc> ls -R | grep edit5.c

    It did it. It just took about 3 minutes. Exactly 200
    seconds. The CPU usage goes to 100% and stays that way
    during the 3 minutes, the machine becomes very slow, and doing other
    things until my command completes is difficult.

    For comparison, the old cmd.exe takes 2 seconds to do the same.

    I think now I see .NET at work. This is kind of interesting.
    I expected something like this but now I have the confirmation.

    Repeating the command doesn't change this timings.

    The memory usage is 329 MB, i.e. starting 3 of those shells
    would take 1GB of RAM.

    I have started a second shell, and give the same command
    in both.

    The memory usage of the first is 340MB and the second 240MB.

    There is no sharing of memory between the shells apparently,
    since the second shell is still working. After command
    completion the memory usage goes down slightly, to "only" 250MB.

    I use the command line a lot. It is a very useful tool.

    And cmd.exe has the advantage of being easy and simple to use.
    Unix shells are quite complex, and there is just too many
    commands to remember even if you have the ethernal "man" pages
    at hand.

    This shell is quite more complex than Unix obviously. I just typed
    "set" to see the environment variables but now "set" without
    arguments starts prompting me for a *new* environment variable, and
    there isn't any easy way to SEE WHAT VARIABLES ARE DEFINED. The
    Unix shell has a "set" command, that was introduced by Microsoft
    in the DOS command shell and has been there since. Well, scrap that.

    Now, the docs tell me that set is an alias for "set-variable". Ok
    there MUST be a show-variable... nope

    There is clear-variable, new-variable, remove-variable, but not
    anything to see which variables are in there.

    Progress, I suppose.

    jacob

    jacob navia, Jan 18, 2006
  6. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jan 18, 2006
  7. The first shell does take a while to start. And the syntax of things takes
    some definite getting used to. get is the verb you're looking for, by the
    way.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  8. so are we all. The day I stop learning, I quit.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 18, 2006
  9. Charlie Russel - MVP

    roman modic Guest

    Hello!

    http://www.computerworld.com/softwa...ory/0,10801,107669,00.html?from=story_package
    (Hands On: Learning Monad, the scripting language for Windows Vista)

    Servus, Roman

    roman modic, Jan 20, 2006
  10. Yes, an excellent resource

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 20, 2006