    group.

    Thanks.

    Kevin

    Kevin Karter, Feb 19, 2004

  2. Kevin Karter

    Steve Young Guest

    It used to be even more than that, but we've been having too much fun lately

    Steve Young, Feb 19, 2004

  3. Kevin Karter

    Steve Kraus Guest

    Can anyone do something about the smut on here? I thought this was a
    Sorry but there is no moderator (nor is there in most newsgroups). And the
    system is decentralized with no central control point. Beyond some limited
    control exerted by the administrators of the various newsservers as to
    which new newsgroups to create there's really not much in the way of
    governance. It means there's no censorship but it also leads to lots of
    advertising spam.

    Steve Kraus, Feb 19, 2004
  4. Kevin Karter

    Jaime Guest

    Whoever is sending all that stuff has some serious mental problems and
    needs to get a life.

    Jaime, Feb 19, 2004
  5. Which is why USENET is ultimately doomed. Of course I've been saying
    that for years. And I'm happy to have been wrong so far, for I'm a big
    proponent of USENET. It's kinda like panning for gold.

    But the temporary tsunami o'smut we're soaking in right now is not what
    I think will be the end of USENET; most of the non-M$ newsreaders are
    already adept at filtering.

    It's the fact that it is largely decentralized. Governments and
    corporations can't STAND that kind of thing.

    The major damage caused by the forgers and spammers and goobers is in
    offending thousands of hypersensitive newbies. They are just horrified
    that newsgroups are not run the way their third grade classrooms were,
    with a dominant leader guiding and protecting and yes, punishing them.

    These people usually are the first to call for a MODERATOR. Much of the
    time it isn't even from a crapflood, it's from a post they don't like or
    an argument they lose.

    If enough of these people complain, the remaining ISPs will make it even
    harder to use newsgroups and we will be herded into overdesigned,
    ponderous, pretentious and moderated "discussion groups" such as the
    dpreview forums. Bleh.

    Oh yeah, some governments might eventually prohibit these Obviously
    Dangerous, decentralized USENET newsgroups for "the children," or for
    "homeland security."

    What it boils down to is: Most people not only will surrender freedom
    for security, they'll surrender it for a little convenience as well.
    Hell, many Americans would willingly Bend and Submit in exchange for a
    /TiVo/.

    Solution: They might win but you don't have to be one of them. Get a
    decent newsreader, learn the filters, wait out the storm and use while
    you can one of the few things about the Internet that haven't been
    corporatized or censored to a mushy sludge.

    Corry
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    "Religion isn't the opiate of the masses. When
    properly used, religion is the methamphetamine
    of the masses." - nu-monet v6.0 in alt.slack

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Feb 19, 2004
  6. "Unclaimed Mysteries"
    As are the M$ newsreaders. In fact, M$ Outlook Express is better at
    filtering than the Mozilla/Netscape newsreader.
    I just love it when someone threatens to contact someone's ISP. No ISP cares
    about petty squabbles in a Usenet group.

    In one newsgroup, when it was clear I had won an argument, someone reported
    me to my ISP because I had posted into a rec.autos.makers newsgroup, but I
    didn't own the type of car that was being discussed. The head of my small
    ISP called me, and we shared a good laugh over that one! The guy was simply
    incredulous that my ISP wasn't interested in what he had to say. I tried to
    explain "Terms of Service" to him, in vain. He was just sure that there was
    someone who cared!

    From: Jay Millikan ()
    Subject: Re: I emailed Scharf's ISP
    Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.saturn
    Date: 1998/10/27

    "They (grin.net) want nothing to do with it. According to them, he's
    doing nothing wrong!"
    Well stated! The only way I know that our little pervert friend is back is
    because of the posts calling for a moderator, or if I go to Google Groups
    which has no filtering.

    Steven M. Scharf, Feb 19, 2004
  7. Kevin Karter

    Mark B. Guest

    There's no moderator. Thanks for giving the trolls more attention. Use
    your news reader filters, ignore the posts, don't start new threads about
    them. If everybody did this, they would go away in short order.

    Mark

    Mark B., Feb 19, 2004
  8. Kevin Karter

    Westie Guest

    <snip>

    Actually, I think that it may be why it's more likely to survive - at least
    in some limited form.

    Westie, Feb 19, 2004
  9. Kevin Karter

    Don Stauffer Guest

    What we really need is someone good enough in data communications to be
    able to track down the true address of the troll(s). If we can get
    that, sending a few examples of the post to his (their) ISP should get
    the account(s) cancelled. No ISP would put up with that if they saw
    what he was sending.

    Don Stauffer, Feb 19, 2004
  10. Kevin Karter

    PR Guest

    Agent is a newsreader with good filtering.

    PR, Feb 19, 2004
  11. Kevin Karter

    Mark M Guest

    You energize the trolls with EVERY new complaint post.

    They get bored easily with silence.

    Mark M, Feb 20, 2004
  12. Kevin Karter

    stan Guest

    Yesterday, I set up a digital photography list on the Listserv I manaage.
    The list is brand new so traffic isn't happening yet, but feel free to
    subscribe. The list is at http://listmail.temple.edu/archives/digiphoto-l.html
    and those who just want to post off-topic stuff such as porn are not welcome.

    stan, Feb 20, 2004