    dialing is minimal.

    Thanks,
    Rivets

    lightbulb, Aug 11, 2004

  2. lightbulb

    Duane Arnold Guest

    wrote in

    With MS Netmeeting which is on the NT based O/S like Win 2K and XP, you
    can use a dial-up modem to modem webcam conferencing I think. I have
    never used that feature and would think it would be very slow on a dial-
    up.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 11, 2004

  3. lightbulb

    lightbulb Guest

    ___

    Thanks Duane

    Will there be a difference in connection speed between the two pc's? (i.e.
    modem to modem dialing vs. modem to "internet" to modem). Surely the
    bandwith is limited only by the modem speed as well as landline bandwith
    (which is something like 5 kB/sec!!!), but still okay for a webcam
    conferencing with images moving once every second.

    I guess I could always try setting the other pc up as a server, and my pc to
    dial it as a client, but a lot of research is needed on my part to set that
    up.

    The purpose of this struggle is to have only one side of the conversation
    pay for the call, and also not have to pay a server for internet access.

    Are there any interesting sites that could help me?

    Thanks
    Rivets

    lightbulb, Aug 11, 2004
  4. lightbulb

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Dial-up is dial-up and is going to be slow. But you would better off doing a
    direct connection insetad of going through a dial-up ISP.
    I guess so.
    I don't know but as far as using Netmeeting just use Google and you'll get
    plenty of hits.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Aug 12, 2004
  5. lightbulb

    Dave Guest

    A program called "PC Anywhere" will set up one computer
    as a server. You can connect without going trrough an IPS.
    Works good, but is painfully slow. Depending on modem speed and
    dialup connection.

    Dave, Aug 12, 2004
  6. lightbulb

    Matt Guest

    Hi,
    Dial up options for Windows:
    For Win 95/98/ME look at built in Dial up Server:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;139710&Product=w98

    Got Windows XP ? Start Help and Support and type "Incoming Network
    Connection" in the
    search field. Instructions are there for the Server End (the machine that
    the Client dials into)

    The client (dial in PC) needs only to set up a Dial Up connection to the
    Server Enabled
    machine (phone #, Username & Password)

    Then use your Netmeeting app to send Video after Hosting Meeting.

    If Netmeeting shortcut is not located in Programs/Accessories/Communications
    Using Explorer , navigate to (likely C: drive) Program Files, Netmeeting
    folder then click on Conf.exe
    to start application.

    Netmeeting's Remote Desktop Sharing feature and a Dial Up Server setup
    may even allow a connect and see with *no* action required on the dial in
    machine.

    Matt, Aug 15, 2004