    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    I recently bought a 16x4 Backlit Character LCD off eBay for $15AU and plan to mod it to my computer via the parallel port. I'm curious if anyone else here has attempted this mod and has any tips or pointers for me. Cheers.

    RObErT_RaTh, Aug 24, 2005

  2. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    unholy, Aug 25, 2005

  3. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Thanks dude and don't worry, I have searched a lot of guides that tell me the basics but I was wandering if there are any hidden surprises instore for me.
    And no it didn't come from DSE originally. It's a 16x4 and DSE sell 16x2 and they cost a fortune for what they are :( I do know that it runs off the HD44780 controller so it will be compatible atleast.

    RObErT_RaTh, Aug 25, 2005
  4. RObErT_RaTh

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Let us know...

    ...how this mod proceeds. I have a Matrix Orbital 4-line LCD with the USB interface in my printer-to-computer mod. I haven't done much with the software that controls it (LCDC, look here: http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=1560&page=2 , other than modify a few display items. I know it could do a lot more, but I don't have time to mess with it when there's a new motorcycle telling me to ride it every weekend.... :bike:

    bigal, Aug 26, 2005
  5. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    unholy, Aug 26, 2005
  6. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    bigal, link doesn't work.
    And does either of those programs allow you to make your own custom characters??? ie pixel for pixel within the square of a normal character?

    RObErT_RaTh, Aug 26, 2005
  7. RObErT_RaTh

    Silverstrand

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2005
    Messages:
    1,949
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Wisconsin
    i fixed it.

    Silverstrand, Aug 26, 2005
  8. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Thankyou :)

    RObErT_RaTh, Aug 26, 2005
  9. RObErT_RaTh

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    It worked for me. I wonder what was wrong? I never make mistakes, you know... :creep: :fluff:
    You can edit lots of stuff. I did some work with it, then set it aside for more exciting hardware projects. You should do some searching on it using the Internet to see what other's think about the software. There is a Matrix Orbital forums site too. I think I registered there last year. It might be in Canada. Don't leave our forums though. This is the best place to hang out. :eek:

    bigal, Aug 27, 2005
  10. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    LCDC costs money so I don't think I'll be getting it anytime soon. I'm after a free program that will do the trick cos I'm cheap ;)
    And don't worry, I won't be leaving the forums in a hurry :)

    RObErT_RaTh, Aug 27, 2005
  11. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    LCD Smartie is the best, i believe it is better then LCDC, and whats better it is FREE!!!!!, in LCD Smartie u can have the Winamp Specutum Analzer from winamp, all the newest winamp version are supported...
    Some other things are Performance Graphs using Enviomental Varibles(CPU Usage is one).
    MBM is supported... but theres no specific Profile for the K8N so i was pissed, but ended up using a simalair which worked :D
    There are Things like these for Linux and other, u can even make them urself using the Matrix Orbitial Manual and Com Port or Parlell Signals... if u didn't know the USB versions sit on Com Port anyways :p

    unholy, Aug 27, 2005
  12. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Well, I've fallen in love with LCD Smartie :p Quickest, easiest, and soooooooo many features :D

    RObErT_RaTh, Aug 29, 2005
  13. RObErT_RaTh

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You were seduced....

    She's cute, but can she cook? :dance:

    bigal, Aug 29, 2005
  14. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    yes, she cooks raw steak in 15 minutes (medium rare) and makes Sausages in about 1 minute!!!! such a good cook she is :p
    its great, check the website for the plugins :D

    unholy, Aug 29, 2005
  15. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    And she's not bad in the bedroom either ;)

    RObErT_RaTh, Aug 29, 2005
  16. RObErT_RaTh

    bigal

    Joined:
    Jul 1, 2005
    Messages:
    1,485
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I think she cooks sausage, not eat it....

    bigal, Aug 30, 2005
  17. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    Ahhhahahahha lol :p

    RObErT_RaTh, Aug 30, 2005
  18. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    now i have one question... why is lcd smartie a she???

    unholy, Aug 31, 2005
  19. RObErT_RaTh

    RObErT_RaTh

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2005
    Messages:
    581
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia Mate!
    I'm not about to fall in love with a guy ;)

    RObErT_RaTh, Aug 31, 2005
  20. RObErT_RaTh

    unholy

    Joined:
    Jun 21, 2005
    Messages:
    3,899
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Australia
    now that... is a very very very valid point!

    unholy, Sep 1, 2005