    that its the bottleneck when copying things from the raid to the lan.

    Anyway. All the boards I have found with 66 Mhz PCI seem to be server oriented,
    Are there any desktop boards with faster PCI on them?

    Richard Malcolm-Smith, Nov 9, 2003

  2. Not when I asked..

    Gregory Parker, Nov 9, 2003

  3. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    T.N.O. Guest

    in short, no.

    about the closest and cheapest solution you could do is a Dual Athlon
    board... maybe some of the workstation mobos too, but yeah, most 66MHz
    cards are "server" orientated.

    T.N.O., Nov 9, 2003
  4. Danger Will Robinson....

    much as I like athlons (they ARE faster than Intel in uniprocessor
    designs), the board designs SUCK badly for dual processor - that's why
    there are so few dual AMD boards left on the market.

    For most of our applications, dual AMD 2000+ boxes were outperformed by P4
    1.8GHz boxes (same FSB frequency) and the AMDs appear to run faster with
    one CPU _removed_

    The bug list on the AMD 766 MP chipset is rather long and some of them are
    showstoppers.

    Uncle StoatWarbler, Nov 9, 2003
  5. Richard Malcolm-Smith

    T.N.O. Guest

    wow... didn't notice that, the Tyan Tiger 2466 is pretty good in my
    experience, especially with some memory tweaks I found on tech-report,
    gave me about a 14% increase in memory performance.
    heh, I'd argue the other way myself, but maybe I only use apps that work
    well on the dual machine.
    yeah... but most if not all have a work around, just dont use 3com NICs
    and half of them go away :)

    T.N.O., Nov 10, 2003