    ! Guest

    Any mobiles available now or very soon which will support the SIP protocol?

    Thanks

    !, May 15, 2006

  2. Well my N80 has a SIP setting menu item under communications if that's any
    help - not sure what it does - is it for VOIP? I have emailed Skype and they
    tell my a version for the N80 is under development but would not commit to a
    timescale.

    R.Daneel Olivaw, May 15, 2006

  3. !

    ! Guest

    Yep. VoIP.

    !, May 15, 2006
  4. !

    Martin² Guest

    R.Daneel Olivaw:
    Skype is just a P2P software application (which obviously need internet
    access), incompatible with anything else.

    True VoIP / SIP is totally different, allows you to use any VoIP provider,
    or even direct connection to any other SIP user if you know the their IP.
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², May 16, 2006
  5. !

    Brian A Guest

    Yes, I can't see Skype being a goer for mobile use via the Net over a
    mobile metwork. You only need to look at the cost/MB of data to see
    that it would not be cost effective. However, over WiFi that might be
    a different situation. However, I agree, Skype is toytown. It works
    very well for what it is but who is interested in waiting for the
    computer to boot up every time you want ot make a call. Further, you
    are tied to one provider and you can't contact SIP phones except via
    PSTN.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, May 16, 2006
  6. !

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Skype is VoIP. If you definition of "True VoIP" is SIP, then where do
    H.323 and IAX fit in (as examples).

    Paul Cupis, May 16, 2006
  7. H.323 is much older so I guess that'll be old VOIP and IAX is much
    simpler (only one port to worry about etc.) so I guess that'll be new
    VOIP :p

    I thought that any process that runs voice data over an IP network woult
    qualify (like all the ones that software like Speak Freely and CuSeeMe
    etc used which I know includes H.323.)

    Thomas Kenyon, May 16, 2006
  8. !

    Adrian Guest

    Paul Cupis () gurgled happily, sounding much like they
    were saying :
    Personally, I'd say that - yes, Skype is VoIP - but it's a firmly
    proprietary implementation of VoIP - a walled garden. "True" VoIP is based
    around open and interoperable protocols.

    A good analogy is the early days of the internet, when it was busy killing
    off BBSes.

    Adrian, May 16, 2006
  9. !

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Yes, I agree.
    a made up phrase with no useful definition and which we should stop using.

    Paul Cupis, May 16, 2006
  10. !

    TKD Guest

    Any mobiles available now or very soon which will support the SIP
    Nokia E60 available now.

    TKD, May 16, 2006
  11. Where?? Nokia say it hasn't been released yet.

    Thomas Kenyon, May 17, 2006
  12. !

    TKD Guest

    TKD, May 17, 2006
  13. !

    JW Guest

    A better analogy would be with business telephones, which in
    their direct-wired and IP forms tend to use proprietary
    signalling to the supplier's PABX (sorry, comms server).
    SIP could be compared to an analogue line or POTS.

    JW, May 17, 2006
  14. !

    Martin² Guest

    Nokia E60 available now.

    Doesn't mention VoIP, is a SIP softphone available for Symbian OS ?
    Pretty steep price, too much for me...
    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin², May 18, 2006
  15. Look on the nokia website, it tells you bugger all but it woes say that
    you can make calls using a WLAN and SIP.

    Thomas Kenyon, May 18, 2006
  16. !

    My Name Guest

    Many people these days leave their computer switched on while they are
    at home. I just checked the consumption of my laptop, it's 24 W. Not
    much more than my Sky box which takes 18 watts whether it's in standby
    or running.

    My Name, May 25, 2006
  17. !

    Ivor Jones Guest

    I leave at least one of mine on 24hrs, but that doesn't mean I want to
    rely on it for an incoming phone call. I want to be able to make and
    receive calls on any line from any phone in the house, which I can do with
    a small PBX and a couple of ATA's.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, May 25, 2006