MN-730 drops connection with MN700 in XP Pro?

Discussion in 'Broadband Hardware' started by iamcain, Aug 18, 2006.

  1. iamcain

    iamcain Guest

    Hi,
    For the past two years I have been successfully using the MN-730 adaptor in
    my daughters Windows 98 machine without issue. I have the MN700 base station
    on an XP Pro machine.

    Recently I upgrade my daughters machine to a dell 3100 with windows XP Pro.
    At the same time I did a fresh install of XP Pro on my own machine. I
    configured the base station and then installed the MN-730 adaptor and was
    able to reconnect without too many issues. It seemed as though I had a stable
    very strong (54 Mps) connection although I never tested it for an extended
    period of time. All of a sudden I am losing the connection every couple of
    minutes on the dell that has the adaptor. The base station machine stays
    connected without issue.

    I am using the WPA security and running the wireless G (fastest) setting. I
    can not find any info regarding the settings I should be using with this
    combination.

    I have also tried using less security (WEP) and a slower setting to no
    avail, I have read through the Microsoft website FAQ's regarding (WEP) setup
    and updating firmware. I have tried all of these things yet the problem
    persists.

    Any thoughts, thank you

    iamcain, Aug 18, 2006

  2. iamcain

    cpublaster Guest

    Did you check "preferred networks"
    1._ Right click over the wireless Icon on the desktop
    2._ Click "View Available Networks"
    3._ Click on Change the order of preferred networks
    4._ Click on your Network and "Move Up"

    I you don't mind someone uses your wireless connection
    just disable WEP

    cpublaster, Aug 18, 2006

  3. iamcain

    Pete Delgado Guest

    If you don't mind someone breaking into your network for fun
    If you don't mind someone looking at your files
    If you don't mind someone downloading movies from web sites thus stealing
    your bandwidth and making you a target of a lawsuit by the MPAA
    If you don't mind someone making an ad-hoc connection to your computer
    If you don't mind someone using your systems to send spam
    If you don't mind someone using your storage devices to store illegal or
    improper content.
    etc.

    Why not just leave your wallet and check book out on your front porch and
    trust everyone who passes through your neighborhood to "do the right thing"?

    -Pete

    Pete Delgado, Aug 29, 2006