MN-700 with dd-WRT Firmware

Discussion in 'Broadband Hardware' started by Pete Delgado, Jan 2, 2008.

  1. Pete Delgado

    Pete Delgado Guest

    Pete Delgado, Jan 2, 2008

  2. Pete Delgado

    Jason Tsang Guest

    Jason Tsang, Jan 2, 2008

  3. Pete Delgado

    Pete Delgado Guest

    Pete Delgado, Jan 2, 2008
  4. Pete Delgado

    Jason Tsang Guest

    Interesting... was looking for this on the main pages and not within their
    Wiki

    You should check their forums to see feedback from there... much more likely
    you'll get the answers you seek than here.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Read my blog for the latest in Media Center topics
    (and other topics that interest me)
    http://jtsang.blogspot.com

    More information by me
    http://jtsang.mvps.org
    http://www.classicsunveiled.com

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    Jason Tsang, Jan 2, 2008
  5. Pete Delgado

    Pete Delgado Guest

    Jason,
    I did check the forums and several people have reported success. However, I
    wondered how "mainstream" the firmware was and if anyone here had attempted
    the upgrade. It looks as if the technologies that it supports are exactly
    what an aging MN-700 would need in order to keep it current!

    -Pete

    Pete Delgado, Jan 3, 2008
  6. Pete Delgado

    Chris H Guest

    Chris H, Jan 3, 2008
  7. Pete Delgado

    Pete Delgado Guest

    Nor would I expect any support from Microsoft in order to install
    third-party firmware onto a long-ago discontinued router. Was there
    something that I said that indicated anything to the contrary?

    The reason that I posted here was because this is the appropriate forum for
    the particular hardware and since there is still a small user community for
    the hardware, I thought that there might be some interest in the third-party
    firmware and I was also hoping that someone had attempted the upgrade with a
    retired MN-700.

    Enough beating this dead horse!!

    -Pete

    Pete Delgado, Jan 4, 2008
  8. Pete Delgado

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Looks like a whole lot of work to me. The processor was not strong
    enough to supply enough speed to pass WPA certification, so I'm
    curious as to whether the speed improves any when CE is wiped from
    the unit.

    I don't see any issues with peer to peer discussions of 3rd party
    firmware for the router here at all.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jan 4, 2008
  9. Pete Delgado

    Chris H Guest

    Chris H, Jan 4, 2008
  10. Pete Delgado

    Pete Delgado Guest

    Since I had planned to decomission the router in favor of a D-Link 2310 I
    figured that I would try it when I get a day free. Yes, it looks like an
    awful lot of work for a casual user, but I hate to see good hardware go to
    waste!

    I too wonder if the overhead of WinCE may have been the problem with WPA
    certification. Thus far, I haven't found any performance information from
    anyone who has done the firmware upgrade so I can't tell.

    I'm still researching whether someone has come up with a way to do the
    upgrade simply through software. Since the MSBBN update was able to update
    the firmware in the MN-700 I know that it is possible without having to go
    the solder and JTAG route, however whether or not I can find someone who has
    done it or if I have the patience to go through the code and do it myself
    remains to be seen!
    Cool. Because I also recall that at one point you had found a driver for the
    MN-720 that did "real" WPA and I had hoped that you would repost the link to
    your article! :)

    -Pete

    Pete Delgado, Jan 4, 2008
  11. Pete Delgado

    Pete Delgado Guest

    Pete Delgado, Jan 4, 2008
  12. Pete Delgado

    Barb Bowman Guest

    wow. ancient history. forgot about that.
    http://blogs.digitalmediaphile.com/...reless+PC+Card++MN720+On+Windows+XP+SP2+.aspx

    is that the one?

    not sure if Vista's inbox driver covers this NIC, but probably. I
    gave mine away a long long time ago so I can't check myself.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jan 4, 2008
  13. Pete Delgado

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Jan 4, 2008
  14. Pete Delgado

    Pete Delgado Guest

    Barb,
    The reason that I got (but can return) the 2310 is because it is a
    rangebooster G model and I already have a D-Link USB rangebooster NIC that I
    got for $12 new on clearance at Target. What would the other models give me
    other than WPA2 & "N" at more than twice the price I paid ($39)? The data
    rates appear to be comparable. The only real difference that I note is that
    the 2310 supports WPA-PSK & WPA-EAP and the others support WPA2.

    Since I am using Windows Server 2003 and AD on the wired portion of my
    network, wouldn't it make more sense to use the 2310 and the Windows Server
    DC as the IEEE 802.1X authentication server and use WPA-EAP rather than
    WPA2?

    -Pete

    Pete Delgado, Jan 4, 2008
  15. Pete Delgado

    Barb Bowman Guest

    ah, not exactly the typical home environment.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP

    Barb Bowman, Jan 5, 2008
  16. Pete Delgado

    xinfli Guest

    The DD-WRT is much more better than original firmware from MS!

    The v24 rc5 works fine on my MN-700. I'm using 512k ADSL broadband
    link, and now P2P download can keep working with 70kbps for days
    without reboot.

    BTW, the Tomato (http://www.polarcloud.com/tomato/) firmware works
    fine on MN-700 too, except the power LED does not light with it.

    xinfli, Jan 10, 2008
  17. Pete Delgado

    NetCobra Guest

    What makes you think it could not work?

    NetCobra, Jan 10, 2008
  18. Pete Delgado

    NetCobra Guest

    In fact, You WON'T find ANY support for MN-700 coming from Microsoft
    now, the life cycle of MN-700 has expired at 01/08/2008 (http://
    support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=1470). So no one will fix the bugs
    in MN-700 now.

    NetCobra, Jan 10, 2008
  19. Pete Delgado

    Barb Bowman Guest