MN-700 Router won't connect to the internet

Discussion in 'Broadband Hardware' started by Jennifer, Oct 14, 2006.

  1. Jennifer

    Jennifer Guest

    I have a 2 computer network in my house. We use a Microsoft MN-700 router on
    the desktop, and I have a wireless adapter in my laptop. The router will go
    down every so often, but I can typically reset everything and it will work
    again. It went down last night, and I reset everything (more than once, the
    longer it was down.) I called my ISP, and they said it was the router. I
    can plug the computer straight into the modem and it works fine, but as soon
    as I plug the modem back into the router and the router into the modem,
    almost instantly it goes down. I'm getting all the lights I'm supposed to,
    so it seems like it should be working. I gave up trying overnight because I
    was getting so frustrated, but it's still not working today.

    I called Microsoft and they told me it was going to be $35, and I didn't
    want to pay that, for something I could probably find just as good or better
    instructions online, for what seems like a common problem with this router.
    I've looked through the newsgroup, and seen several posts about the MN-700
    not being very reliable for several years and having to just get a new one,
    so is this my only option? Or is there something I'm not doing, that may can
    prolong this router a little while longer?

    Thanks for any help!!

    Jennifer, Oct 14, 2006

  2. Jennifer

    Chris H. Guest

    Jennifer, have you tried the troubleshooting information here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812951 There is also further information
    here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810963 I'd also suggest you check
    this Knowledge Base article for the information on updating the firmware on
    the MN-700: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814445

    One of the things you could try (despite the ISP blaming the router) is the
    next time you lose the connection, try removing the power from the ISP modem
    and the MN-700, and let them sit for about three minutes. Then plug in the
    modem and let the lights sync up with the feed, then re-plug the power in to
    the MN-700. If that syncs things up, the ISP may be resetting their feeds
    way too often. It doesn't always have to be the router's fault. :cool:

    Chris H., Oct 14, 2006