    MN-700, everything is slow. My ISP says I need to update the software in the
    MN-700. I can't seem to find any software updates from Microsoft. Help!
    Thanks for your time.

    Guest, May 12, 2006

  2. Update the software???? I'd be investigating the whole network to see if
    something is sending out spurious packets, someone is hijacking your
    connection or whatever.

    Diamontina Cocktail, May 12, 2006

  3. Guest

    Lem Guest

    As you probably know, the MN-700 hasn't been made for several years and Microsoft
    is no longer in the business of selling wireless routers. I don't know if MS
    still provides telephone support for these devices, but I doubt it.

    Looking at the CNET review from 2003 shows that people who have one either love
    it or hate it. It may just be that your unit is beginning to die. As far as
    "updating the software" is concerned, what was probably meant was to update the
    firmware for the MN-700. I doubt that's the problem, but see
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814445 The most recent version is 02.01.02.0590.

    Some older wireless routers -- and the MN-700 probably qualifies as "older" --
    did not perform very well in "mixed" mode, that is, when both 802.11b and 802.11g
    devices are on the same network. Assuming that you have only 802.11g devices,
    ensure that your MN-700 is set to use G only.

    As Diamontina suggested, check for unexpected usage. Look at the DHCP client
    list and at the "Base Station Log." See the "Configuration Guide" (not the
    "User's Guide") for how to do this. If you can't find your CD with the
    documentation, it's here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902461

    You can also try connecting your PC directly to the MN-700 using an ethernet
    cable and disabling the wireless mode entirely. This will ensure that you have
    no unauthorized users. In fact, if you get acceptable speed in this
    configuration and can't resolve the wireless speed issue, I suggest using the
    MN-700 as a wired router until you get a new wireless router; it's much safer to
    have the router's hardware firewall between your computer and the Internet than
    to hook up directly to the cable modem.

    If all else fails, reset to factory default (does more than the reset from power
    cycling). Write down all of your settings. You can also create a backup file
    that will enable you to restore all of your settings, but because it's possible
    that one of your settings has somehow been changed in an inappropriate way, I
    wouldn't use the automated backup and restore; you might just restore the same
    bad setting. Reset the MN-700 to its factory default state and reconfigure your
    network settings, giving some thought to ensuring that the settings make sense.
    You should have the MN-700 connected to a PC with an ethernet cable while you
    reconfigure, especially the wireless settings.

    Lem, May 12, 2006