Mixing WIC-1T, WIC-2T, direct cabled for lab setup

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Dan, Jan 19, 2004.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    Current setup:

    three 2621s, setup as CE routers, with WIC-1Ts directly cabled to one
    3640, a PE router with a WIC-4T.

    I have access to a second 3640 but it has no serial I/F. It has two
    NM-2FE2W interfaces. This PE will connect via fast ethernet through a
    c2950 switch to the first PE.

    We are adding a 3745, a CE router with no serial. It has one NM-2FE2W
    plus the slots on the chassis.

    Goal:
    we want to move one 2621, and connect the 3745 so they are both
    connected via serial to the second 3640.

    I think two WIC-2Ts, carried in the NM-2FE2Ws, and some cables is what
    I need, but I don't know if WIC-2Ts interop with WIC-1Ts when direclty
    cabled.

    Questions:

    Will a WIC-2T directly cable to another WIC-2T? I assume yes with the
    appropriate pair of V.35 DCE/DTE cables for the new style serial
    connector.

    Will a WIC-1T directly cable to a WIC-2T? Is this the same as above
    using a V.35 DTE to DCE? Are the signals the same? ?

    One more question: will the serial interfaces of a 2511 directly
    connect to any or all of: WIC-1T, WIC 2T or NM-4T? We have one of
    these sitting around and I would like to make use of it.

    any gotchas?

    performance is not an issue.
    IOS versions can be whatever they need to be.

    TIA, - Dan

    Dan, Jan 19, 2004

  2. Dan

    Hansang Bae Guest

    [snip]
    It'll work just fine. I have this setup myself.

    Everything is the same exact for the form factor of the cables. See
    http://www.pacificcable.com/CiscoCables.htm for pictures (SmartSerial to
    V.35)

    Again, no problem. Just get the high density 60Pin serial to SS
    (SmartSerial) or 60Pin to 60Pin variety.
    None.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Jan 19, 2004