    Is this not correct?

    thanks,

    Hal

    hal, Mar 25, 2005

  2. hal

    Rick Merrill Guest

    IP "phones" are really built in ATA (analogue telephone adapters), and
    different systems use different protocols. Of course they want to sell
    you their brand of h/w, but if you ever want to dial someone who does
    NOT have an IP phone, you'll have to use your vendor's systems.

    Rick Merrill, Mar 25, 2005

  3. hal

    Anon-E-Moose Guest

    Nope, VoIP is a generic term to mean that voice data is sent over an IP
    network. There are several propreitary VoIP protocols. If you want an open
    standard, ensure that your system supports SIP. SIP protocol is supported
    by most Internet VoIP systems.

    Anon-E-Moose, Mar 26, 2005
  4. Or H.323

    Andreas Sikkema, Mar 26, 2005
  5. hal

    Ian Guest

    !!!!!!!!!!!! No they are not............. They are Digital phones that
    use an IP protocol n the case of Mitel sets its Minet.
    WHAT!!!!

    Ian, Mar 26, 2005
  6. hal

    Rick Merrill Guest

    You are defining it in a equivalent way: An ATA just runs a analog to
    digital conversion for analog phones. Your "digital" phones convert
    analog voice directly to digital. six of one, half a dozen of the other,
    or whatever makes you happy.

    Rick Merrill, Mar 26, 2005
  7. There is a very important difference. ATA's use ratty old 4-wire to
    2-wire hybrids which mix the incoming and outgoing signals together.
    The phone then uses another hybrid to un-mix those two signals. The
    result is two echo-inducing, frequency response limiting hybrids in
    your talk path.

    A real voip phone has no such nonsense. In fact some of them (at
    least the ones that do g.722-wideband) probably even have earphones
    and mouthpieces rated to twice the normal phone frequency response.
    There is a noticeable improvement in the sound quality. Of course, it
    is only usable when talking between two phones that can do similar
    wideband speech.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Mar 27, 2005
  8. hal

    Mark Evans Guest

    No, an ATA, is a specific device to connect a POTS telephone (more
    likely a fax machine/modem/coin operated phone/etc) to a VOIP network.
    All that is required is that the phone and PBX understand the same
    protocol. Which is only likely to be the case if the latter only
    speaks some proprietary protocol.
    Either the phone will work or it won't. Connecting to a non IP phone
    involves a PSTN interconnect somewhere. But that could be anywhere
    on the planet.

    Mark Evans, Mar 30, 2005