    200 pin SODIMM of 128 DDR 2100.

    If I added that slower DDR, would it help or hurt performance-- or not even
    run?

    Martin Kallikak, Jr., Jan 30, 2007

  2. Make that subject line DDR2...

    Martin Kallikak, Jr., Jan 30, 2007

  3. Martin Kallikak, Jr.

    WhzzKdd Guest

    Hmmm...the crystal ball is cloudy...what kind of freakin' laptop are you
    going on about?

    WhzzKdd, Jan 31, 2007
  4. Celeron M 410

    Martin Kallikak, Jr., Jan 31, 2007
  5. Martin Kallikak, Jr.

    WhzzKdd Guest

    That wasn't much help. But I'd postulate that if you put in RAM that's half
    the speed of the current, it would slow the bugger way down, if it works at
    all.

    WhzzKdd, Jan 31, 2007
  6. Martin Kallikak, Jr.

    Vanguard Guest

    So you think you have a freak laptop that takes both DDR and DDR2 memory
    sticks, huh?

    Vanguard, Jan 31, 2007
  7. Martin Kallikak, Jr.

    Vanguard Guest

    And you can't even tell the difference between a processor brand and
    model and a *laptop* brand and model. Obviously you should never ever
    get inside your laptop and take it to a computer shop to have all
    upgrades installed.

    Vanguard, Jan 31, 2007
  8. Martin Kallikak, Jr.

    DanR Guest

    That's his question.

    DanR, Jan 31, 2007

  9. "hurt... or not even run"! "Help" is out of the realm of
    discernable plausibilities.

    Generally speaking, given mulitple RAM slots, the bus will
    run only as fast as the slowest installed module...

    With the RAM, there are other factors besides pin count and
    speed which could effect your computer, such as voltage...
    It would only be a very small amount, because there is only
    a very small range in which they operate, but it is a hardware
    variable.

    I don't even like mixing manufacturers... but that's just me.

    I would be hesitant to "mix-and-match" RAM sticks - period;
    unless you have an older computer which you consider expendable,
    or a nice candidate for experimentation...

    It is possible that even a small variation would not be
    immediately noticeable, but sooner or later you would
    start having multiple errors and/or boot problems.

    I would first search [Crucial.com is good] for compatible RAM,
    then I would buy the best quality and largest that my machine
    would accecpt and I could afford. If I couldn't afford to fill
    all the slots to maximum capacity, I would divide them up in
    such a way as to provide as much capacity as possible, leaving
    me with as many options as possible. To wit, if budget were
    an issue, and I had 4 slots with a 4GB maximum capacity, I would
    buy 2 1GB sticks for slots 1 & 2, and plan to fill 3 & 4 with
    with the same, as soon as possible.

    If I had 1 or 2 older, smaller [512 MB] equal size, same speed,
    compatiblility verified or OEM sticks, I might use them in slots
    3 & 4... But, I'd likely try with and without and watch very,
    very carefully.

    Bucky Breeder, Jan 31, 2007