Mitsubishi Sub Dye printer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by fmaas, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. fmaas

    fmaas Guest

    Googled this to death (sub dye printers) and most of the threads were in
    this NG and most were older and none covered my question. So at the risk of
    possibly crossing the "off topic" line (but it is about my digital
    pictures, shot with my digital camera) I ask the following:

    Has anyone had any experience with the Mitsubishi CP-3020DU sub dye printer?
    I am thinking of purchasing one but I can't find anyone that carries them
    locally and therefore can't look at the output.

    The unit seems to run about 1K and the paper/ribbon runs anywhere from
    $1.60 to $1.80 per sheet. Does the output of the dye sub, as opposed to
    let's say an Epson 2200 inkjet, offset the higher costs of the machine and
    the consumables?

    Does anyone know if the Mitsubishi is CMY or CMYK (I can't seem to find this
    on the Mitsubishi site)?

    I have used an Epson 2000P since it was introduced and it has done a fair
    job but is becoming quirky in its output lately. I would really appreciate
    any information or opinions you might have. I received great input on my
    other questions but I am hoping that my printer query doesn't ignite another
    Foveon vs. Bayer discussion :)

    fmaas, Feb 16, 2004

  2. fmaas

    Bryce Guest

    I thought they made Zeros!

    Bryce, Feb 16, 2004

  3. fmaas

    REED BOXIN Guest

    i can't comment on the mitsubishi dyseub in question , but would recamend the
    kodak 8500 dye sub .

    you can get one for around $800.00 on ebay .
    it usually costs $2.00 for a sheet 81/2 x12
    including the ribbon and paper.
    you could also get them a wee bit cheaper of ebay .(paid $157.00 for 100 )
    i use photoshop 6 to do prints from instead of the provided software and am
    very happy results.(canon10d camera)

    i can sell pictures printed from there wih alot more confidence that it will
    last ,and hold up alot better than an ink jet .
    gene

    REED BOXIN, Feb 17, 2004
  4. fmaas

    JR Guest

    I would not buy a printer that I could not get local supplies for. Let
    alone support and service. I have an epson 2200 and the output is
    phenomenal. I would say a dye sublimation (dye sub, not sub dye) would
    have an edge on glossy papers, but everything else the epson will match.

    JR, Feb 17, 2004
  5. fmaas

    JR Guest

    Really? Epson claims 200 years longevity with the 2000p and 90 years on
    the 2200...Dye Subs claim 10-60 years.

    JR

    JR, Feb 17, 2004
  6. fmaas

    fmaas Guest

    Apparently I am suffering from printer dyslexia and you are of course
    correct, dye sub.

    I got out and looked at an 8X12 capable Olympus dye sublimation printer
    tonight (only 400 and something dollars but the paper/ribbon ran $2.00 a
    sheet in 50 packs). For glossy's it looked pretty good, but....the matte
    did not look good at all and I like to use matte for some of my stuff. I
    totally agree on the local supply and maintenance issues. I think it's a
    2200 for now with an eye on the dye sub for the future.

    Thanks for the responses.

    fmaas, Feb 17, 2004
  7. The Epson pigmented printers are probably more stable against light-fading,
    but they are considerably more vulnerable to gas fading and mechanical
    damage. Most dye subs (including the Kodak 8500) have a laminate overcoat
    which helps prevent both.

    I've got both, an Epson 2200 and Kodak 8500. The Kodak 8500 is (in my
    opinion) much closer to wet chemistry images, but the Epson 2200 is hard to
    beat for presentation prints.

    James

    James Akiyama, Feb 17, 2004
  8. fmaas

    mark_digital Guest

    There is only one good reason for using an inkjet. It handles different
    paper and for different types of output. They come no where near the
    continuous tone of dye-sub printers. Optical wet prints from a lab will out
    do dye-sub but not so much as being so obvious when side by side in an
    album. Can't say that for inkjet or bubblejet prints.
    An Olympus P400 or P440 downtime is minimal. Add paper or add ribbon. Can't
    say that for inkjet or bubblejet. And boy do those ink cartridges drain fast
    don't they? I wouldn't be too surprised you keep your fingers crossed and
    hope your Epson will print something as you approach it after not using it
    for a couple of weeks.
    I've own them all. You can't shit me.

    mark_digital, Feb 17, 2004
  9. fmaas

    Arthur Small Guest

    I can not be concerned if my color prints last 200 years. I wont be around
    and by then the technology will have changes.

    Arthur Small, Feb 17, 2004
  10. fmaas

    Brad Guest

    People won't use their eyes to look at prints anymore?

    Brad, Feb 17, 2004
  11. fmaas

    Tom Monego Guest

    The only prints that will last 200 years are paper (not RC) B&W. Color photos
    have a life expectancy of 15-60 years depending who you talk to. Pigmented
    inkjets test to 200 years on certain fine art papers, dye inkets 1-75 years.
    Dye subs are questionable, probably in the 20 years level, and that is for
    ones that self laminate.
    Will anyone care if your prints last 200 years, probably not unles it is of
    some family members.

    Tom

    Tom Monego, Feb 18, 2004