    Microsoft should correct this page as it is causing people a lot of
    frustration.

    Hugh

    Guest, May 31, 2005

  2. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005

  3. Rafael Rivera [Extended64.com], Jun 1, 2005
  4. Guest

    Rick Guest

    Because it all boils down to the basic theory about which came first,
    the chicken or the egg.

    The hardware vendors were reluctant to support an OS that was Beta, yet
    Microsoft continued to develop Win x64 and encourage the hardware
    vendors to develop 64-bit drivers. Now that the OS is finally released,
    the hardware vendors will guage there development priority on how
    rapidly Win x64 is adopted by the end users. We therefore find
    ourselves caught in a "Catch 22" at the present time.

    In a perfect world the OS and all the supporting drivers from the
    hardware vendors would have been released at the same time. However,
    the last time I took a reality check, this is not a perfect world. So,
    we have to live with what the Great Creator left us with!!

    Rick, Jun 1, 2005
  5. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  6. Guest

    WM Guest

    HP does have workstations preloaded with Windows XP x64... Check their site.

    WM, Jun 1, 2005
  7. I'm working 12 hours a day with x64, no problem so far.
    Can't see any reason to go back to XP32bit....
    You have to make some choices... I did , I'm happy with it

    Cheers

    Christian Hougardy, Jun 1, 2005
  8. Please check the other links, both Dell and HP are offering x64 based
    system pre loaded with our 64-bit operating systems.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 1, 2005
  9. Guest

    Keith Guest

    Other than needing to watch some TV in my bedroom on my computer using my
    pci based tv tuner/capture card....plus the occasional rip of a dvd or vhs
    tape...I use X64 exclusively for gaming and what not....as soon as Leadtek
    decides to get some damn drivers out for their most popular tv tuner cards,
    I will dump the XP32 installation....

    -Keith

    Keith, Jun 1, 2005
  10. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  11. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  12. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  13. think for Dell its only
    their Precision workstations.
    Right - a workstation - I'm not sure of your point baring in mind the
    primary advantages of x64 and the target users for this OS and 64-bit
    software, this seems quite reasonable as does the HP choice of machine.

    --

    Regards,

    Mike
    --
    Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

    rights

    newsgroups

    Mike Brannigan [MSFT], Jun 1, 2005
  14. Hmmm. I'm probably still a few weeks away from the switch. Mostly because I
    don't have the time to get everything sorted right now -- got a server to
    rebuild, and two older workstations to reconfigure for a current project. But
    once I make the move, I don't expect to look back. ;) And I am _seriously_
    tempted by the new dual core processors, in spite of the price. Just waiting
    to see how long till ASUS has a BIOS update to handle it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 1, 2005
  15. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 1, 2005
  16. ah, but see, for me a dual core machine makes WAY more sense than a single
    core. I can have my VMs spread across the cores, for example, since I am
    using the beta of Virtual Server SP1. And still get some real work done on
    the machine.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 1, 2005
  17. Guest

    Kevin Panzke Guest

    Dell is shipping Windows XP X64 Edition (or plans to ship it) on their
    Precision Workstation's (for their Corporate Customer's).

    Kevin Panzke, Jun 2, 2005
  18. Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Jun 2, 2005
  19. Guest

    Bill Sharpe Guest

    Bill Sharpe, Jun 4, 2005
  20. Guest

    - Bobb - Guest

    I bought the mb/CPU at AMD Tech Tour to get X64. I built the box. The video
    is PCIx16 - cards were WAY too much $$$. And not sure there is x64 driver
    for them.
    I installed X64 and since NONE of my hardware had ANY supported software,
    that box is now a paperweight - waiting for drivers to be written ... by
    anyone. I did have an old PCI video card (all my others are AGP) so I used
    it in a std PCI slot and since no driver for it - the resolution is: 4 bit !
    Yeah, greys look OK - everything else gives me a headache.
    I'm back on my Win2000 / XP boxes for now.

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Aug 3, 2005