    would pay a little extra for it.

    Thanks for reading and any light you can shed on this for me.

    Steven.

    Steven C \(Doktersteve\), Sep 1, 2003

  2. Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    AK Guest

    Interesting question, which alerted me to a difference between the 10D and
    the 300D I wasn't aware of as I think of buying one.

    You generally lock up the mirror if you plan to take a time exposure or/and
    want absolutely no camera shake (e.g., when the camera is mounted on a
    tripod) due to the mirror slamming up when the picture is taken. E.g.,
    suppose you want to take very sharp pictures of art objects, flowers, etc.
    for a catalogue, (or just for fun!).

    If you expect that most of the time you will be taking hand-held pictures,
    and absolute sharpness is not the issue, its probably not a useful feature
    for you, though, in my experience, even with handheld pictures, a
    rangefinder camera will give perceptibly sharper pictures than an SLR even
    in hand-held situations. But you would have a hard time taking a hand-held
    picture with the mirror locked up!!

    AK, Sep 1, 2003

  3. Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    Guest Guest

    YEAH

    just was out testing a CONTAX G2 and found the shutter incredibly smooth
    then I realised it was becos there was NO MIRROR SLAP

    didnt realise how bad the mirror slap was in CANON non pro cameras.....
    even the high end EOS 5 slap like it was made in hungray or estonia.........

    Guest, Sep 2, 2003
  4. Steven C \(Doktersteve\)

    Charlie D Guest

    The best explination yet.