    any comments on this cameras? I alreaddy read many reviews, but its
    difficult for me to decide, which camera to buy.
    Silke

    S. Hammer, Oct 10, 2003

  2. S. Hammer

    David Buteau Guest

    It's easy to see why your having a hard time choosing as they both seem
    to be fine cameras & are very similar, however this is a very subjective
    choice that should be made by asking yourself 1 all important question;

    <1> Which camera better matches my expected uses?

    As an example if most of your pictures are going to be taken outdoors
    than a more powerful zoom lens (140mm S414) / (114mm A80) might be of
    greater importance to you.

    Also the S414 does not have an auto focus assist light which the A80
    does have. The auto focus assist light of the A80 should allow it to focus
    better in low light conditions, usually indoors.

    My preference is toward the A80 because of it's swivel LCD display,
    focus assist light, a little faster lens at full wide angle (A80=f2.8
    /S414=f3), 2 custom user programmable modes, longer video clips ability
    (A80=3 min. / S414=1 min) & lastly is the fact that I am somewhat biased due
    to being a very pleased A40 & A70 owner.

    Bottom line they both seem to be quality cameras so give question <1>
    some strong consideration & always buy from a reputable merchant either
    local or on the WWW that has a good customer care/satisfaction record.

    Hope my 2 cents worth proves helpful to you.

    DHB

    David Buteau, Oct 10, 2003

  3. S. Hammer

    tipicanu Guest

    For what it's worth.
    I have the Minolta - go for the Canon without hesitation. I had the
    (similar) A70 too for a little while and only returned it because my son
    wanted drums instead. I sure wish I could have returned the Minolta
    instead. The *only* advantage to the minolta is the zoom - not enough to
    justify choosing it over the A80.

    -tip

    tipicanu, Oct 10, 2003
  4. S. Hammer

    sky172 Guest

    I don't know the quality of pics of A80 yet. I've been using s414 for a
    couple of months and went on a trip with my friends that had A70. My Minolta
    seems to make better pictures that their A70, but I used manual mode all the
    time and played with the settings before every shot, they used auto mode.
    A70, like A60 makes very soft pictures. They look like they are not as sharp
    as Minolta's. But even though the disadvantage I loved their A70 for two
    reasons: 1) It's much smaller. They kept their camera in their jacket's
    pocket, and I had to keep mine in my backpack. 2) Taking off the lens cap
    before every picture gets annoying after awhile, Canon doesn't have a lens
    cap.

    I'm thinking about A80 myself. Even if the quality of the pics are almost as
    good as Minolta's, I would go for the Canon.

    sky172, Oct 11, 2003
  5. S. Hammer

    JK Guest

    Why an A80? Why not a G3 or an Olympus C5050 instead? Okay, they
    are somewhat more expensive, but imo well worth it.

    JK, Oct 12, 2003
  6. S. Hammer

    JK Guest

    If you need to keep the cost around $300 or so, how about an Olympus C4000?

    JK, Oct 12, 2003
  7. S. Hammer

    NJH Guest

    [ . . . ]
    Yes, the A80 lens is faster at full wide angle as you say, but unfortunately
    it's slower at full tele (f/4.9 compared to the S414's f/3.6) which is where
    you really need the faster lens. That plus the fact that the S414 is 140mm
    (equivalent) at the long end compared to 114mm for the A80 makes the Minolta
    clearly the better choice when a longish lens is called for.

    On the other hand, that swivel display of the A80 looks like a nice feature,
    and its compact size must be nice if pocketing the camera is needed. I have
    the S404 (forerunner to the S414, identical in size and most other respects)
    and it sure ain't very pocketable.

    Neil

    NJH, Oct 12, 2003
  8. S. Hammer

    S. Hammer Guest

    G3 is not to get as new in Germany, A80 ist faster ready than G3 and
    cheaper.
    Also I want CF-card as medium to use my cards from older camera, thats why
    no C4000.
    I ordered the S414, and I hope, its fine.
    Thank you for the tips.
    Silke

    S. Hammer, Oct 13, 2003