    you like it.

    I am not an avid photographer just novice.

    I also looked at the Z3. Can anyone give me some input please.

    tellme, Feb 18, 2005

  2. tellme

    Pete D Guest

    If you are spending that much then the A2 is probably a better choice for a
    bit more.

    Pete D, Feb 18, 2005

  3. tellme

    Gavin Guest

    I got a a200, I looked at the A2 and whilst it offers a few more
    features the swing out viewfinder and remote made more sense to me on
    the A200 than the A2.

    The A200 is a bit slow to focus in low light, (but I'm told most
    minolta's are), but apart from that it seems a nice camera.

    Ultimatle it depends what you want, if you want more manual control
    take the A2, if like me the wireless remote and the fact I can flip
    the LCD out and about 180 degrees so I can see what it's looking at
    when doing remote timer shots then the A200 will suit you better

    Gavin, Feb 19, 2005
  4. tellme

    tellme Guest

    You say it is slow to autofocus. That is a negative to me as the shots
    I take I need the autofocus to be fast. I am not that good with a
    camera and by the time I would manual focus the shot would be gone.

    Because of your comment I looked a bit farther and the Panasonic
    DMC-FZ20 seems like a better choice. what do you think?

    tellme, Feb 20, 2005
  5. tellme

    Gavin Guest

    Best thing would be to try them in a local store. I don't know about
    the Pana so cannot say what it's like.

    In "normal" conditions (read normal daylight) it's fine with the
    autofocus, but it's slow in low light (read indoors with the one 100w
    light on, in a normal sized room), One problem is it does not have an
    autofocus assist light so its a bit slow in low light, however thats a
    bonus for some candid shots as there is no indication of the camera
    readyness. In notmal outdoors light and well lit rooms it's fast.

    Like most cameras it's a 2 position shutter, if you prefocus it it's
    very fast to then take the photo.

    Gavin, Feb 20, 2005
  6. tellme

    tellme Guest

    Thank you. I am still in a quandry. I read the review and the forum on
    the Panasonic. It sounds pretty good.

    I will use the camera for taking shots of birds in flight indoors and
    family pics.

    tellme, Feb 22, 2005
  7. tellme wrote:
    []
    Look at it this way:

    - the Panasonic is the top of its range

    - the Minolta is a cut-down version of the A2

    For family pics, the wider angle of the Minolta might be better, although
    I personally wouldn't buy one.

    May here might tell you that for fast response (and I guess you need that
    for birds in flight?) a DSLR might be a better choice. (I don't want that
    much size, weight and bulk, though).

    Perhaps the Panasonic is the best compromise?

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 22, 2005
  8. tellme

    Bruce Graham Guest

    I'm not sure IS will help much for low-light fast motion. Can you use
    flash for the birds?

    Maybe you need a DSLR? (for the ISO 1600 and fast AF bird capture).

    Apart from a brief play with my daughter's new FZ20, all this is just
    theory for me, offered only to get others ideas.

    Bruce Graham, Feb 22, 2005
  9. tellme

    Gavin Guest

    would you be better with a Digital SLR, the canon 300D will support
    most canon lens so you should be able to get some fast glass ie a f2
    lens to photo the birds and then a general 18-200 range lens for
    general use.

    How would you take birds in flight anyway, unless you in a well lit
    avery you'll need some form of flash to get any decent image out by
    the time any camera has focused and you (or it) have set the shutter
    and aperature it will be wrong,

    You want a really good quality set up for the birds and a regular one
    all the rest of the time, I think you'd be disapponted in any compact
    digital at the moment

    Gavin, Feb 22, 2005
  10. tellme

    tellme Guest

    Thank you. I am still in a quandry. I read the review and the forum on
    the Panasonic. It sounds pretty good.

    I will use the camera for taking shots of birds in flight indoors and
    family pics.

    David, thanks for your input. a DSLR would be overkill for me. I
    wonder why you would not buy a Minolta.

    I do need the fast response and I think the Panasonic from what I have
    read does have a wide angle as well.

    I wish I had more input from others here so that I can see other
    opinions, not that I do not value yours I just want pros and cons.

    I have read all I can and the articles go into such depth for someone
    that is not taking photography to exhibit.

    Input from others welcomed. Now it is down to the Minolta DimageA200
    and the Panasonic DMC-FZ20

    tellme, Feb 22, 2005
  11. tellme

    tellme Guest

    Bruce, the flash has not bothered them up till now. I am a distance
    from them that is why I need the zoom. I have gotten a few really good
    shots of my Timneh in flight with his wings spread out that someone
    did a painting of since the picture was so good. As you would probably
    guess it is difficult to shoot a bird in flight getting their wings
    spread out without noise in the picture and each feather spread out.

    I do not fly my birds outside so all my pics are taken indoors. Most
    of the family ones are as well.

    Does this help the list in giving me advice?

    tellme, Feb 22, 2005
  12.
    Robert Millard, Feb 22, 2005
  13. Hi Gavin,

    I purchased the DMZ-FZ20 just before Christmas to replace my Nikon N-80 with
    the following Nikkor lenses: 18-35mm, 105mm micro, and 80-400 VR. My lens
    of choice was the 80-400, and I'm becoming too old to cart around a 4+ pound
    package.

    So far I've photographed birds in Hawaii, lots of flower close-ups,
    aquariums, and general shooting and haven't regretted not having my film
    outfit at all. Can't recommend the Panasonic highly enough.

    Good luck,

    Bob

    Robert Millard, Feb 22, 2005
  14. tellme

    Bruce Graham Guest

    Given you can use flash, I think you would be able to get your bird shots
    with the FZ20. The viewfinder (electronic) is slower than the optical
    finder of a DLSR, but you can just blaze away and you should eventually
    get some good shots. The FZ20 can do about 3 frames/sec for a short
    burst. Make sure you buy a fast SD card (45x or 60 x or 80x) for this
    camera. I bought a Transcend 45x 1G card which works well for my
    daughter and a lot cheaper than the Pana SD card. For blazing away with
    flash, I suspect you will need a good external auto flash - The FZ20 has
    an external flash contact, but the internal flash has enough light
    power if you can wait a moment between shots. An external flash would
    also let you use diffusers and bounce for different lighting. If you buy
    a secondhand flash, make sure that the flash trigger contact voltage is
    low enough to avoid frying the camera. You can also try pre-manual focus
    on a landing perch or other likely target area to cut down delay, but the
    FZ20 is much more resposive than a point and shoot anyway.

    Bruce Graham, Feb 23, 2005
  15. tellme wrote:
    []
    I bought a Minolta A2 but sent it back because:

    - the images did not deliver the quality I expected

    - there were faults in the Minolta A1 which were not fixed in the A2

    - Minolta lied about the resolution of the viewfinder (which was a nice
    EVF, pity they dropped it for the A200).

    - the viewfinder was of "tinny" construction and did not articulate fully

    As a result, I lost faith in the company to deliver products of the
    quality I expected.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 23, 2005
  16. tellme

    tellme Guest

    The birds fly through the house. I have 2 story ceilings. In the past
    by using the built in flash and all my kitchen and family room lights
    on I have gotten good pics of them flying. The hardest part was that
    the Olympus I had did not shoot continuous so I had to keep hitting
    the button but I got some great pics.

    An SLR for me would be overkill as I am thinking the Dimage would be
    as well.

    Thanks for the comments.

    tellme, Feb 23, 2005
  17. tellme

    tellme Guest

    Thanks Bob, I think you just convinced me to save myself some money
    and get the Panasonic. For what I need I think it should do the job. I
    have not been familiar with the Panasonic name and have always heard
    Olympus which I got last time and hated it, a Kodak which I tried out
    in the store (we only have about 4 here in my town and they don't have
    much inventory) and a Nikon which had noise and I didn't like it
    anyway.

    Wish I could see a Panasonic but prob. need to go for it anyway.

    tellme

    tellme, Feb 23, 2005
  18. tellme

    Gavin Guest

    Hi

    Got your quotes mixed up, I'm the guy with the A200 not the one
    choosing between then Pnaa and the Minolta

    Gavin, Feb 24, 2005
  19. I have my A200 for about 3 weeks now.

    It has up to 5 shot continuous advance and AFC automatic continuous focus
    which allows you to autofocus on a moving target. I have not teted this
    focus option but it appears to be designed for photographing moving targets.

    It's ergonomics are exceptionally good.
    I understand that auto focus is poor in poor light - this is just a matter
    of degree because this is a problem with all autofocus cameras.
    The articulated LCD is a big bonus.
    If you need to push the 200mm tele up to 340 mm then the Olympus x1.7 TCON-
    17 is half the weight and half the price of the Minolta x1.5 ACT-100. You
    will need a 49-55 step up ring for the TCON-17.

    Maurice

    Maurice Brandman via PhotoKB.com, Mar 14, 2005
  20. tellme

    JG Guest

    It Is and it does. Subject to the usual conditions and things we know
    about shooting moving targets.
    Agreed. Its a joy to use.
    Correct. The A200 is not the best performer here but rarely have I been
    unable to get the required shot.
    Definately an improvement on the A2. The whole package represents far
    better value for money than the A2.
    That's interesting. Have you used it and if so is it all ok?

    JG, Mar 15, 2005