    manipulate images ( I do have adobe photoshop) or would I be better off
    buying one of these fancy new camera-printer direct printers?

    Mark

    mark.worthington, Apr 15, 2004

  2. mark.worthington

    Maze Guest

    The PC is probably up to it, but you might struggle with Windows 95 - AFAIK
    all didital cameras need a USB connection to transfer photos to the PC, and
    Windows 95 USB support is dodgy, at best. Win 98SE is the earliest OS to
    have half decent USB support. If you can get hold of win98SE and a PCI-USB
    card (if you don't have USB) you should be laughing

    HTH

    Maze

    Maze, Apr 15, 2004

  3. mark.worthington

    Maze Guest

    "didital cameras" = digital cameras

    did you spot the deliberate mistake ;-)

    Maze, Apr 15, 2004

  4. You're going to run into problems since Windows 95 is very unfriendly to
    USB. If you dug up an old digital camera with a standard serial connection
    on it, you'd be ok, and the camera would only be slightly newer than your
    computer!

    How about upgrading your computer? Surely a new computer wouldn't cost you
    a whole lot more than a new fancy direct-print inkjet or dye-sub?

    Also, many photo-finishing kiosks offer real photographic prints made
    directly from your camera's memory cards. This is another investment-free
    option to consider.

    Good luck!

    - jz

    Jeff Zawrotny, Apr 15, 2004
  5. mark.worthington

    Alfred Molon Guest

    Until last July I was processing all my images (2MP and 4MP) on a
    subnotebook with a P1 133MHz and 64 MB RAM (not upgradeable). Was a bit
    slow, but ok. You couldn't do RAWs, but for 4MP JPEGs it was ok.

    Then I switched to a P4 1.4 GHz subnotebook with 1GB RAM and started
    processing RAW images and creating huge panoramas with up to 40 MPixel.
    Couldn't have done that with the 133MHz computer.

    By the way, if you can, upgrade to Win98SE - at least you'll have USB.
    Photoshop (the older versions up to 4 or 5) run nicely on a 233MHz
    computer.

    Alfred Molon, Apr 15, 2004
  6. Here in rec.photo.digital,
    It's faster than most of my boxes. :)
    You should be able to do lots of things with images. Even a 486 can be
    used quite effectively for image editing.

    The main issue you might run into is actually transferring the images
    to your PC in the first place, since most cameras seem to be USB only,
    and since Windows 95 didn't support USB until OSR2.1 (the second OEM
    release of Windows 95).

    One of the reasons I purchased my Casio QV3000EX is because it supports
    both USB and serial connections. That way I can use it right now sans
    USB hardware, and I can also use it with any newer PC hardware I might
    end up with when I eventually upgrade.

    Richard Steiner, Apr 15, 2004
  7. Thanks for all the advice from everyone who responded. I'll have to have a look
    at the back of my PC. Hopefully a USB port will be obvious (computers are not my
    area of expertise!) and I could look around to see if windows 98SE is available
    anywhere.

    Thanks again

    Mark

    mark.worthington, Apr 15, 2004
  8. Also note that some use regular chemical printing, and the prints will last 75
    years.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Apr 16, 2004
  9. mark.worthington

    Mark Weaver Guest

    If you don't have any USB ports you might get away with a parallel port
    card-reader. Might be hard to find at this point, but they did exist so at
    least you should be able to find one on Ebay.

    Mark Weaver, Apr 16, 2004
  10. mark.worthington

    stan Guest

    Unlikely that your PC has a built in USB port since USB did not exist
    when Windows 95 was being sold. If your PC has a vacant PCI slot, you
    can install a USB card, but you will need to upgrade to Windows 98SE
    in order to use the card, assuming the card's driver even supports that
    old a version of Windows.

    stan, Apr 16, 2004
  11. mark.worthington

    Andrew Guest

    It would be cheaper and more sensible to get a PCI USB card for the
    PC.

    Andrew, Apr 16, 2004