MIND BLOWING : The best of Gallery of High Speed or Flash Photography! [PICS]

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Cathy, Jul 5, 2007.

  1. Cathy

    Cathy Guest

    Cathy, Jul 5, 2007

  2. Cathy wrote on Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:58:23 -0700:

    C> Tired of the same old objects around you? Shoot them to
    C> pieces for the sake of art!
    C> The following is "the best of" gallery from a few masters of
    C> the genre:

    C> http://www.nachofoto.com/foto?i=4d52af0723d0

    Fascinating pictures but where can I find the details of cameras
    used etc.?

    James Silverton
    Potomac, Maryland

    E-mail, with obvious alterations:
    not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

    James Silverton, Jul 5, 2007

  3. Cathy

    Karl Winkler Guest

    Those are some pretty cool photos. Of course Harold Edgerton did this
    stuff in the 30's, 40's and 50's after he invented the strobe...

    Karl Winkler

    Karl Winkler, Jul 5, 2007
  4. Cathy

    John Turco Guest

    Hello, Karl:

    Very clever Nebraskan, that Harold Edgerton (1903-1990) was. <g>

    Cordially,
    John Turco <>

    John Turco, Jul 7, 2007
  5. Cathy

    -hh Guest

    Harold "Papa Flash" Edgerton also did full-speed stuff, ie rifle
    ammo. According to the subject website, they were using stuff that
    was going only 1200fps...just barely supersonic, instead of Mach 2.5 -
    3. To freeze motion on the latter, you need roughly 4x more
    illuminating strobe power.

    -hh

    -hh, Jul 7, 2007
  6. Cathy

    Kadin2048 Guest

    Not only that, he did a neat series of atomic bomb detonations in the
    early 50s. (Or at least it was done with his equipment; a thing called a
    "Rapatronic" camera, with a non-mechanical, polarization-based shutter.)

    <http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=456>
    <http://simplethinking.com/home/rapatronic_photographs.htm>

    Also, the actual Flickr page for the OP's stroboscopic photos (instead
    of the blog they were mentioned on) is here:

    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotofrog/sets/1681080/>

    Does seem to be some somewhat inadvisable gun-safety stuff going on
    there, but neat nonetheless...

    The ones done with a sledgehammer shouldn't be missed either:
    <http://www.flickr.com/photos/fotofrog/79569174/in/set-1681080/>

    -Kadin.

    Kadin2048, Jul 7, 2007