    converted to dvd format on the fly, i.e you don't have to download and then
    convert from the avi format to dvd format, I hope it is clear what I am
    asking. And it would be using a firewire port rather than usb.

    graviton, Dec 4, 2005

  2. graviton

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Well for starters A analog vidieo capture card would be a starting
    point. With mpg/mpg2 hardware encoding! now a Old Athlon 900MHz
    processor clocked at 990MHz is fast enough with 7200rpm ATA100's drives
    on a ATA33 bus to capture Raw AVI.

    I have found everything I have captured needes editing any way. so
    working from AVI to mpg/mpg2 so It does the edit colour and correction
    at the time of re encoding, I Let the thing run over night and a big
    80+GIG hard drive helps too.

    Now for ramblings TMPGEnc runs much better in a wine envrroment under
    Linux than in windows But Bugger If I can get the Video capture to go in
    Linux (But I havent realy Tryed).

    Robert Cooze, Dec 4, 2005

  3. graviton

    thing2 Guest

    Get a good PCI dedicated card. Look at the Pinnacle 700 studio unit,
    regarded as the market leader, for "serious home users". Not sure about
    the USB one, I would have preferred firewire but they dont seem
    available anymore. Lots of the LE, SE or lite editing software is pretty
    crappy.

    If you are looking for a new PC for this, I would suggest a Mac and
    imovie, get a builtin superdrive (dvd burner) and you are away.

    or for PC's.......I notice it says XP, guess that leaves me out....

    |:(

    While AMD chips are the best for general use, Intel chips seem to excel
    in video and sound work. So if you want a new box and not a Mac,
    carefully look at some reviews online looking for ones with Pinnacle or
    similar software as part of the test routine, you will probably find the
    Intel CPU is the best pick.

    http://www.pinnaclesys.com/PublicSi...l+Specifications/Technical+Specifications.htm

    Minimum System Requirements

    Windows XP SP1 or higher
    Intel Pentium or AMD Athlon 1.4 GHz or higher (2.4 GHz or higher
    recommended)
    512MB RAM (1 GB recommended. 1 GB required for HD)
    DirectX 9 or higher compatible graphics card with 32 MB (ATI Radeon or
    NVIDIA GeForce 3 or higher with 128 MB recommended for SD. 128 MB
    required for 720p HD. 256 MB required for 1080i HD)
    DirectX 9 or higher compatible sound card (Creative Audigy or M-Audio
    recommended)
    1 GB of disk space to install software + 3 GB to install bonus content
    1 USB 2.0 port
    DVD-ROM drive
    Optional:
    CD-R(W) burner for creating Video CDs or Super Video CDs*
    DVD-/+R(W) burner drive for creating DVDs*
    Sound card with Surround Sound output required for preview of Surround
    Sound mixes

    Hardware Specifications

    700-USB Inputs:
    Composite video input (RCA connector) PAL, SECAM, NTSC
    S-Video input (mini-DIN connector) PAL, SECAM, NTSC
    Stereo audio input (2 x RCA connectors)
    IEEE 1394 I/O connector (6-pin type)
    700-USB Outputs:
    Composite video output (RCA connector) PAL, NTSC
    S-Video output (mini-DIN connector) PAL, NTSC
    Stereo audio output (2 x RCA connectors)
    IEEE 1394 I/O connector (6-pin type)
    700-USB Analog Video Capture and Output:
    Analog PAL & SECAM/NTSC input
    DV (IEEE 1394) camcorder capture 25Mbit/s. Full camera control support
    Compression: MPEG-2, MPEG-1, DV, MJPEG (User selectable. Available
    real-time capture formats depend on CPU speed) 700-USB Video Playback
    from Computer:
    Analog PAL / NTSC output
    DV (IEEE 1394) output to camcorder 25Mbit/s. Full camera/device control
    support

    Export Formats

    Video CD (VCD) or Super Video CD (S-VCD)* with optional CD-R or CD-RW drive
    DVD* with optional DVD-R(W) DVD-/+R(W) drive
    DV, AVI, DivX **, RealVideo 8, Windows Media 9, MPEG-1, MPEG-2*,
    MPEG-4** files
    Dolby Digital Audio 2 channel* & 5.1 channel**

    Import Formats

    Video: DV, HDV*, AVI MPEG-1, MPEG-2*, DivX**, MPEG-4 (AVI)**, Windows
    Media Format, Non-encrypted DVD Titles**
    Audio: WAV, MP3
    Graphic: BMP, JPG, PCT, TGA, TIF, WMF

    thing2, Dec 4, 2005
  4. graviton

    upupup Guest

    hi8 is a digital format so no analog capture is necessary, sorry for your
    unnecessary answer, I had not thought it necessary to further explain it any
    further than I did.

    upupup, Dec 5, 2005
  5. graviton

    graviton Guest

    The last reply was actually from graviton not upupup, sorry about any
    confusion.

    graviton, Dec 5, 2005
  6. graviton

    shannon Guest

    I don't think he would need an analogue capture video card if I
    understand him correctly.
    Just a firewire card, or built in, the codec is in the digital camera.
    The downloaded files are already encoded as mpeg2.
    So what is required is an editing application and a dvd authoring
    application.

    http://www.doom9.org/ has useful tutorials and guides

    shannon, Dec 5, 2005
  7. graviton

    graviton Guest

    Thanks but normally the downloaded files are encoded in avi unless you have
    a fast enough cpu for on the fly encoding and it is the cpu requirements for
    this task that I need to know, i presume a large harddrive is not needed if
    you encode on the fly and I presume you can still edit the dvd encoded
    video.

    graviton, Dec 5, 2005
  8. graviton

    shannon Guest

    Digital8 cameras use DV compression to encode their images onto tape, if
    the files are transferred via firewire like miniDV, they are already
    compressed.
    ..avi is a container format, an avi file may contain audiovisual data in
    all sorts of compression formats.

    Avid have a free entry level editor which may suit you
    http://www.avid.com/freeDV/index.asp
    with the system requirements
    http://www.avid.com/freedv/sysRequire.asp

    Here is a guide from the site mentioned previously that covers the
    various steps from dv to dvd.

    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/dv/guide.html

    shannon, Dec 5, 2005
  9. graviton

    David Guest

    No, that is only the case with the new HD DV cams (which use MPEG2 to
    fit HD content on the miniDV tapes). His video will almost certainly be
    encoded as DV video with 48khz PCM audio when he captures them. This
    format is usually stored in an avi file. To store it directly as mpeg2,
    encoding on the fly is needed. This would require a powerful machine and
    the right software, unless you have a hardware mpeg2 encoder. However
    with a large harddrive this is not necessary, from memory DV is about
    230mb per minute, so a 60minute tape would need less than 14gb.
    Preferably one with a good MPEG2 encoder. I like Sony's Vegas, which
    will capture the video etc for you, supports widescreen and works well
    with Sony DVD Architect, which can encode MPEG2 and AC3 (without AC3
    support your audio options are limited to PCM, which wastes space, or
    MPEG audio, and I can't be sure of this but from memory some DVD players
    don't like it.)
    Definately, but they tend to be aimed towards those using free tools.
    Good software should come with detailed manuals etc.

    David, Dec 5, 2005
  10. graviton

    graviton Guest

    Thanks a lot David for clearing that up, you actually answered another
    question that i had wondered about, I had suspected that the new dv cameras
    stored video in mpeg2 format which to me means the older cameras have a
    better quality of raw video data and therefore more flexibility etc... You
    also anticipated my question on how much data per minute comes from a hi8
    digital video camera.
    My only other question at this time would be where I could find info on how
    long different cpu's take to render video in an application like I intend to
    use, this will help me gauge what cpu will be worth getting for me as it
    sounds like i won't be getting a machine fast enough for on the fly
    encoding, I am looking at upgrading my machine on a very tight budget or not
    at all if the differences in video rendering times are not significant
    enough.

    graviton, Dec 5, 2005
  11. graviton

    BB Guest

    I used to use my Celeron 1100, 512MB RAM with 60GB ATA100 HDD...never a lost
    frame. That was using Premiere.

    BB
    NZ

    BB, Dec 5, 2005
  12. graviton

    Robert Cooze Guest

    Im Sorry I thought the Hi8 and 8mm were a analoge setup as in reality
    the 8mm system seems to have gone away. Even if it is a digital system
    what If the camcorder does not support the digital out?

    Robert Cooze, Dec 5, 2005
  13. graviton

    graviton Guest

    Yep.

    graviton, Dec 5, 2005
  14. graviton

    Daniel Guest

    Assuming that the Hi8 video is in digital, and assuming it can be
    downloaded to the PC, is it not possible to transcode to MPEG2 (albeit
    slowly) simply using the CPU?

    Just curious.

    Daniel, Dec 5, 2005
  15. graviton

    graviton Guest

    From memory hi8 can be used for both analog or digital recording. All
    digital camcorders would have digital out I presume.

    graviton, Dec 5, 2005
  16. graviton

    graviton Guest

    Wow would not have thought that was anywhere near fast enough, as far as I
    know my p3 550MHz would not be anywhere near fast enough, I would really
    like to know though how long it takes to render with my cpu compared to a
    bottom of the range new cpu.

    graviton, Dec 5, 2005
  17. graviton

    David Guest

    Yes, but the problem is that the camera will only output the data at one
    rate (the speed the tape plays), and if the PC can't keep up you will
    have dropped frames.

    David, Dec 5, 2005
  18. graviton

    Daniel Guest

    Only if you're attempting to "capture" the video stream.

    If it's already in digital format, and you can transfer it to the PC via
    IEE1394/firewire, then why would you need to transcode it in realtime?

    Unless you're saying that your PC would be too slow to keep up with what
    is effectively a constant rate file transfer from the camcorder?

    Daniel, Dec 5, 2005
  19. graviton

    Rob J Guest

    Data streams in at 216 MB / minute roughly. From experience, an Athlon
    XP2600 system with 512 MB of RAM is nearly but not quite fast enough to
    encode this to DVD in real time.

    Rob J, Dec 15, 2005
  20. graviton

    Rob J Guest

    No, Hi8 is analog, but in a digital camcorder it will be converted to
    digital at the firewire port.

    Rob J, Dec 15, 2005