    etc).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Aug 23, 2004

  2. What, like the "limit" modes on some interchangeable lenses? Doesn't the
    Minolta A2 have something like that built-in?

    Martin Francis, Aug 23, 2004

  3. Mike Jacoubowsky

    Malcolm Guest

    Or through a bug- or rain-splattered window of a car. That's always
    annoying. It's typically not a shot that I would care about a few
    out-of-focus raindrops or bugs marring the image, but to have the intended
    subject be completely out of focus and some disgusting bug guts gloriously
    captured in bright detail is maddening at times. I guess I could stop, get
    out of the car and take a picture under such circumstances.

    Malcolm, Aug 23, 2004
  4. Mike Jacoubowsky

    Arty Facting Guest

    Hi Mike - there's nothin dumb about this question at all

    It would be cool IMHO if digicams had a range finder setting too which
    bypassed all the hunt&search autofocus tends to bring with it

    Heck - most non-SLRs were reange-finders (range-setters?) anyway.

    It would also IMHO be cool to set a focus and exposure (either av or tv or
    both) and either
    a) take the pic when wanted
    or
    b) let the camera shoot as soon as an object came into range

    Perhaps the best questions are the simplest to ask?

    eg: what is a pixel? <tee-hee>

    Go Arty Arty Artio!

    Arty Facting, Aug 24, 2004
  5. Hi Mike - there's nothin dumb about this question at all
    With the ability to interface to a computer, you'd think we'd have a lot
    more power to "personalize" how our cameras work. All of the things we're
    talking about are already doable with the power of present-day cameras;
    they're just not doing it quite the way we would like them to.

    The fun of a digital camera shouldn't be limited to the time spent taking
    the photos. Software ought to exist that would allow us to customize its
    programming. Say, if you're shooting sports, wouldn't it be cool to be able
    to tell your camera-

    =================================
    Minimum shutter speed never below 1/600th second. Accomplish this by-

    A: Start at min ISO (lowest-noise setting). Highest-shutter speed if can be
    accomplished at f5.6 or greater.

    Below f5.6 go to 1/600th second.

    If wide-open aperture doesn't allow 1/600th exposure, increase ISO until it
    does.

    Focus setting: Minimum distance 10ft, max 30. If the sensors can't target
    anything, default to 20. Max targeting time 250 milliseconds.
    =================================

    Obviously we'd need a simplified programming language to accomplish this.

    Aw heck, we can always dream, right?

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Aug 24, 2004
  6. Mike Jacoubowsky

    Arty Facting Guest

    Yay - way to go m8!

    That's the spirit!

    I daresay some humdrum in the technical department is saying "No it can't be
    done. Never has been done. Will never be done"

    Not until they is all on cathup - purty darn quick catchup

    Go Go Artio

    ps - dobri

    Arty Facting, Aug 24, 2004