    This is not a homework question as I've been out of college
    long ago. (^:

    JM

    geothermal, Apr 10, 2004

  2. geothermal

    Toolman Tim Guest

    That would depend on 1) where you live 2) what time of night 3) the current
    rotation of the earth 4) how dark it is (how far out of the ciy you are) 5)
    how up-to-date your eyeglass prescription is

    Toolman Tim, Apr 10, 2004

  3. geothermal

    alan jeeves Guest

    try uk.sci.astronomy or similar newsgroup - me thinks this NS is for
    computer help

    alan jeeves, Apr 10, 2004
  4. geothermal

    why? Guest

    Why would you think that? The group name is '24hoursupport.helpdesk'
    there is no specific topic I can see mentioned.
    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Apr 10, 2004
  5. geothermal

    Unknown Guest

    You can see about 60% if the candy bar is lying on a table.

    Unknown, Apr 10, 2004
  6. geothermal

    olfart Guest

    Depends on how many Beers you've had

    olfart, Apr 10, 2004
  7. geothermal

    Millimeter Guest

    Not in my house, I have 4 kids and my wifes favorite television show

    Millimeter, Apr 10, 2004
  8. geothermal

    Sensei Guest

    Dark chocolate one?

    Sensei, Apr 11, 2004
  9. geothermal

    geothermal Guest

    Thanks Alan ! I'll try that group. But actually this group
    24hoursupport.helpdesk is for almost any question out there.
    I've answered lots of odd and non-computer questions here.
    (TINH TINT)

    ciao,

    JM

    geothermal, Apr 12, 2004
  10. Greetings...

    Depends on who you talk to and how you define "what can I see"...

    To answer your question I will reduce it to it's 2 extremes:

    The Best resolution you can hope for under the best atmospheric viewing conditions
    assuming you actually know and can distinguish what it is that you are looking at -

    If you are looking in the direction of Sagittarius - You can see approx 0.15 % of the
    (KNOWN) General mass of the Milky way Galaxy with the naked eye. However, you probably
    won't realize it because most of what you are looking at is a blank black wall... The
    number of stars or stellar masses that you can see as a percentage is significantly
    smaller than that... Somewhat less that 1 millionth of a percentage point...

    Remember that under the best conditions the average number of STARS that you can see on
    a very clear night under the best conditions is measured in the single digit thousands..
    There are an estimated hundred BILLION of stars in the Milky Way...

    If you are looking away from Sagittarius - you are looking out of the Galaxy away from
    the center - however you can actually see a bit more of the stellar mass than you can
    looking in... A few hundredths of millionths of a percentage more than looking in because
    it isn't as obscured. However, you are actually looking at less of the Galactic mass in
    general - less than .0001 % of the General Galactic Mass....

    Also, Much of what you see looking AWAY from Sagittarius may or may not actually be
    within the Milky Way Galaxy...

    Like I said, depends on who you talk to and what you consider as part of the Milky
    Way... For example do you consider the 5 smaller companion galaxies as part of the Milky
    Way? Where do you draw the line?

    The opposite end extreme of your question "On any given night" is 0% It's cloudy and
    you can't see anything....
    LOL

    ll
    Kanda'

    <>SPAM-KILLER<>- If you really want to contact me, then -
    kandaje<at>bresnan<dot>net

    You figure it out...

    Kanda' Jalen Eirsie, Apr 14, 2004
  11. geothermal

    geothermal Guest

    Thank you Kanda for the answer ! (^: I love bizarre trivia
    like this stuff. Have a great day !

    geothermal

    geothermal, Apr 24, 2004