Mild C&C - mistake by Nigerian scammer

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by enemy, Apr 20, 2004.

  1. enemy

    enemy Guest

    I'm a Yank, a graying baby boomer.

    I just "won" 2.5 megabux in a lottery.

    Unfortunately, the origin IP of the notice was in...the Federal
    Republic of Nigeria.

    And the company which was running the lottery was...

    "Watergate, Inc."

    The real estate company which owns the development in Washington, DC
    may be utterly honest but the images that come to my head when I hear
    the name "Watergate" are NOT those of honesty. I think if I were
    spamming out an advance fee scam this is NOT the name I would use.

    If you want to see examples of this scam plug "Watergate Inc." into
    groups.google.com. A LOT of people seem to have "won" their lottery.

    If you do a Google web search it looks like some non-people with email
    addresses such as a mailing list on web character sets have won it as
    well.

    enemy, Apr 20, 2004