    I know you were - the point I was trying to make wasn't to you, if you know what
    I mean. :) Too subtle, do you think?
    "Are you bringing the chips and dip, or just popcorn?"

    Mara, Oct 26, 2003

  2. WeeWilly

    Harrison Guest

    In the interest of good science, I have conducted an experiment on the
    relationship between the size of the My Documents folder and overall
    system performance on my system.

    I ran two sets of Passmark Performance Tests on my system.
    These tests measure cpu, memory, disk, and graphics performances.
    For more information, see http://www.Passmark.com

    Test A was run with a My Documents folder of 10.6 GB* in size.
    Test B was run with a My Documents folder of 685 MB in size.

    The disks were defragmented before each test in order to take
    fragmentation out of the picture. Each test was run following a cold
    boot and with antivirus disabled.

    System Information:
    Windows XP Professional SP1
    Intel D850MV
    P4 2.0 GHz
    1024 MB RAM
    0/0 - IBM 40 GB, 7,200 RPM Ultra-ATA/100
    1/0 - Maxtor 60 GB, 72,00 RPM Ultra-ATA/133
    Graphics - NVIDIA GeoForce 2 MX/MX 400 AGP

    Passmark Performance Test v 4.0 Results:

    A - All Tests = 222.6 Passmark / 419.2 megaFLOPS
    B - All Tests = 223.6 Passmark / 418.8 megaFLOPS

    Further Testing - Cold Boot Times (until disk activity ceases)
    A - 1:34:27
    B - 1:32:11

    Summary - The differences in the two tests were negligible. I saw no
    ill effects of operating with a My Documents folder of over 10 GB as
    opposed to one of only 685 MB.

    *The documents added to the folder consisted of 58 folders containing
    1,186 files.
    The files were a mix of iso, mp3, zip, rar, bin, mpg, asf, and wav.
    The sizes ranged from 1kb to 784MB.

    Harrison, Oct 26, 2003

  3. WeeWilly

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Liz said:
    Leaving all this frivolity aside, I would just like to add that Win98 does not
    act in the same way as the NTFS systems, especially ME which is less stable than
    nitroglycerine.
    So for Harrison to go on about how XP behaves or doesn't behave, when conversing
    someone who is asking a question concerning 98, is beyond me.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 26, 2003
  4. WeeWilly

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Mara said:
    I bet if someone else had said that, they would have been called a liar and
    dragged over the coals.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 26, 2003
  5. WeeWilly

    Plato Guest

    Large My Doucuments folders can cause _extreme_ slowdowns in certain
    win98X PCs that's a simple fact of life. I've dealt with that fact
    personally many times. ie by just moving some subfolders/files to new
    directories I've been able to speed up many PCs. Am currently looking
    for data on this niggle re: XP.

    Plato, Oct 26, 2003
  6. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    Translation:
    In the interest of trying to back up my hasty claims, I have
    conducted an experiment on *MY* system, which will have
    little or no bearing on anybody else's system, of course, but
    it will prove my point, because *MY* system shows negligible
    difference.

    °Mike°, Oct 26, 2003
  7. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    I think I must still be asleep.
    With all that beer supplied, I'll bring a bar-b-que, too.

    °Mike°, Oct 26, 2003
  8. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Oct 26, 2003
  9. WeeWilly

    Harrison Guest

    Two things.
    The original OP was using Windows XP.
    Mike's page makes no distinctions regarding which flavor of Windows,
    and the page carries a date of 2003.

    Harrison, Oct 26, 2003
  10. WeeWilly

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Plato continued:
    Don't expect anyone to post any links, it's much more fun to insist they
    /have/ the links but won't post them. I can see them poking their
    tongues out right now.

    slumpy, Oct 26, 2003
  11. WeeWilly

    Harrison Guest

    Both of these concern roaming profiles. By default, Windows profiles
    are not roaming profiles.

    Harrison, Oct 26, 2003
  12. On 26 Oct 2003, °Mike° wrote
    Can you post the comparable readings for your system?

    It would be interesting to compare Harrison's bench-marks with a system
    where the sluggishness problem has been experienced.

    Harvey Van Sickle, Oct 26, 2003
  13. WeeWilly

    Harrison Guest

    In an attempt to give this issue the fullest possible consideration, I
    posed the question to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general.

    Here is the full question and the response I received.
    Q:
    Subject: My Documents folder size question
    Someone referred me to a web page with tips on "basic system
    maintenance" information.

    Here's the link.

    My question is regarding number 3 on the page, which states,
    "My Documents": Make sure that you do not have too many files,
    folders and sub-folders in 'My Documents'. Create new folders outside
    of 'My Documents' and move stuff to the new folders. The 'My
    Documents' folder is a special system folder, and there is a known
    issue in Windows, where too many files/folders within it can cause
    your system to become very sluggish..."

    Is there any truth to this statement?

    If so, what is the technical basis for this, and how many is too many
    files?

    Thanks
    ____________________
    A:
    None that I know of. In a FAT 32 file system, finding items takes
    longer as the number of items in a directory increases (because it is
    a linear search). So in theory if you have 30000 or more entries the
    access to that directories slows. But the effect would not show if
    you organised it in a sensible set of folders, with say 1000 objects
    at most at any level - and even that many will be clumsy for *you*.
    It is one of those things where a small theoretical point has been
    vastly inflated (and that seems to happen quite a bit at such sites)

    Bournemouth, U.K. 8E8L.org (remove the D8 bit)
    _____________________________

    I've gone to quite a bit of trouble to prove Mike's information as
    being valid. As you can see, the question was posed fairly and without
    prejudice to either side. I linked his site and quoted directly from
    it.
    Along with my own benchmarks, this concludes my efforts to prove or
    disprove his statements regarding the Windows My Documents folder
    size. I honestly don't know what else I can do.

    Harrison, Oct 26, 2003
  14. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    I've never performed a comparable benchmark test.

    °Mike°, Oct 26, 2003
  15. WeeWilly

    Petit Alexi Guest

    [snip]
    [snip]

    Much of Harrison's advice is incomplete, inaccurate, or just plain wrong.

    Some of it is actively harmful.

    I'd urge anyone who is thinking of following Harrison's advice to try to
    check the validity by using Google.

    Petit Alexi, Oct 27, 2003
  16. WeeWilly

    Petit Alexi Guest

    [snip]
    I heard Harrison was a goat molester.

    Petit Alexi, Oct 27, 2003
  17. WeeWilly

    Petit Alexi Guest

    105330.news.uni-berlin.de:

    [snip]
    I'm suprised you don't have Mara KFd. It gets a bit tricky when you factor
    in all her sock puppets, but still.

    Petit Alexi, Oct 27, 2003
  18. WeeWilly

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Ralph Mann continued:
    Isn't the fact I am currently using the kitchen window to gain access
    enough ?

    It's just like a huge inflatable, so no matter what you do, it just
    moves around. I spent Saturday evening shut in the cupboard under the
    stairs. I only went in there looking for boot polish.

    slumpy, Oct 27, 2003
  19. On 27 Oct 2003, slumpy wrote

    -snip-
    Ah, yes: that would be the one that eliminates "possessive its"
    apostrophes..... :)

    (It's perhaps the only error with its own dedicated newsgroup:
    alt.possessive.its.has.no.apostrophe.....)

    Harvey Van Sickle, Oct 27, 2003
  20. WeeWilly

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as Harvey Van Sickle
    continued:
    Of course.
    It''s always been a problem for me.

    slumpy, Oct 27, 2003