    The main thing is the degraded performance.
    You can have a screen full of icons, they won't make much difference, but if you
    have a number of manyMB files, you will see a big difference.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 26, 2003

  2. WeeWilly

    Harrison Guest

    Harvey,
    I went over to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general and pulled all
    available headers (a little over 102,000).
    I then searched the headers for "My Documents" and examined every
    thread on the subject. Not once did I find any mention of the
    "problem" others keep saying exists. Nothing about the size of the
    folder affecting system performance.

    Obviously, I could truly not care less whether you store your files in
    the My Documents folder or on a floppy disk in your sock drawer.
    That is not my interest here. My interest is in stopping the spread of
    misinformation and myth.
    It's kind of like that old e-mail about AOL and Microsoft teaming up
    to give people money for forwarding the message.
    It's simply unproven or straight-out untrue, and I don't want to see
    it perpetuated without any substantial proof of its merit.

    As others have indicated, maybe you should try it both ways.
    I moved over 4 Gigs into mine yesterday and I have seen ill effects.
    I've done all I can to give the benefit of the doubt to the other side
    of this debate, but still have seen evidence of it being any more than
    a myth.
    Maybe others have underpowered systems and there is some slight
    performance difference.

    Best Practice: Keep your document storage folder, whatever it is,
    clean and well organized. Create subfolders as appropriate and keep
    them well maintained too.

    Harrison, Oct 26, 2003

  3. WeeWilly

    Ralph Mann Guest

    °Mike° said:
    My Documents is an address on the hard drive, just the same as any other file or
    folder, it is also addressed as a system folder so that links get placed about
    the drive when users are added and new My Documents folder are assigned.
    They are still located on the HDD, and are still prone to all the failures that
    any other file or folder is prone to, otherwise are you saying that if the
    system crashes and the HDD corrupts rendering the drive inaccessible, that My
    Documents is protected and will always be accessible even when nothing else is?
    It ain't magic, it's physics, it's written to the drive like everything else is.

    Ralph Mann, Oct 26, 2003
  4. WeeWilly

    Harrison Guest

    On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 19:22:41 -0400, Harrison
    OOPS!
    A correction

    I moved over 4 Gigs into mine yesterday and I have seen *NO* ill
    effects.

    Harrison, Oct 26, 2003
  5. WeeWilly

    Ralph Mann Guest

    Harrison said:
    Boy you are one hell of a speed reader.
    Not a very good way to get people to listen to what you have to impart on them.
    A bit like a barman punching someone in the mouth then asking them what they
    would like to drink.
    Not like it at all, what has spamming ploys and cruel jokes got to do with the
    subject?
    Why don't you *prove* that it isn't true, rather than *imply* that it is a myth
    that you *must* stop?

    (snip)

    Ralph Mann, Oct 26, 2003
  6. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    You are missing the point ENTIRELY. Of course there is a
    physical folder called 'My Documents', and of course it is
    subject to the same physical failures as any other part
    of the hard drive. 'My Documents' could just as easily be
    called 'Susy's Cat', and it would still be treated as special
    by Windows. It is NOT the fact that it is a system folder
    that is special - you can make ANY folder a system folder,
    and it will have no special abilities just by doing so - it is
    the fact that WINDOWS treats it as a 'Shell Object'.

    °Mike°, Oct 26, 2003
  7. WeeWilly

    Ralph Mann Guest

    What OS are you using ?

    Ralph Mann, Oct 26, 2003
  8. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    Well that MUST prove it then, mustn't it? DUH!

    <snip rest of crap>

    °Mike°, Oct 26, 2003
  9. WeeWilly

    Mara Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/sd33 :)

    "Eddie misses the boat on some stuff, but he's right on target about the groups.
    In fact, a quick glance through the thread will show you how they groups are
    thought of in nanae."
    <snipped stupid shit>

    Mara, Oct 26, 2003
  10. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    Maybe I should give it a rest? ;o)

    "This sometimes helps."

    °Mike°, Oct 26, 2003
  11. WeeWilly

    Harrison Guest

    XP Pro

    Harrison, Oct 26, 2003
  12. WeeWilly

    Harrison Guest

    If you would be so kind as to explain to me how one proves that
    something does not exist, I'll gladly forge ahead.
    Harvey searched high and low for proof of Mike's statement, or even
    more information to back it up.
    I have searched everywhere I know to search.
    Regardless of what some may think, I'm interested in getting the facts
    straight. This question came up a week or so ago and no one proved its
    validity then. I'm looking for the same thing Harvey's looking for.
    Until PROVEN otherwise, I'm still assuming it's a myth.
    Prove to me that reducing the size of the My Documents folder on
    system performance and I will from this point forward make that
    recommendation to anyone who asks about it.
    Proof doesn't mean, "Well it sure made my computer faster".
    Proof is telling me the mechanics behind the statement. Is it a
    percentage of RAM or pagefile? What is it about the size of the My
    Documents folder that bogs system resources?
    I know that any folder will open more slowly if it contains more files
    than another. If the difference is small, then the difference is
    virtually undetectable. If the difference is huge, then the slow down
    will be visible to the user. But I don't see any grounds for the My
    Documents folder being more prone to these affects than other.

    Sorry to carry your question beyond its bounds, but there's more I'd
    like to say at this point.

    Others here have questioned my "agenda".
    I have no agenda other than to bring good information to those who
    seek it.

    Mike saw my response to Harvey's original question as personal
    because, I suspect, he was expecting a personal attack from me in
    retaliation for his rapid-fire childish responses to my FAQ-styled
    postings the other day. It's sort of like if you smack someone in the
    face, you take a step or two back because you could reasonably expect
    an unfavorable reaction.
    Someone else was kind enough to point out what was wrong with doing
    FAQ's in a more mature and sensible manner, and I appreciate them
    doing that, and I now can see their points.

    As others have also stated here, I too respect Mike's knowledge and
    abilities in this forum. he provides solid information and has helped
    countless individuals with tricky problems. I have even picked up a
    few things from him myself, and they've proven to be helpful. I
    suspect he's done the same from some of my responses as well, although
    I'm not holding my breath on him admitting it.
    I plonked him after his antics the other day, because I took a few
    minutes to reflect and I realized that if I continued to see those
    types of antagonistic replies that I might let myself slip into the
    pissing war I had avowed to not participate in.
    Will I miss out on some good information by doing so? More than likely
    I will, but I have decided, for myself at least, that ignoring his
    posts does two things. It not only filters out possible inflammatory
    remarks which may bring me to a place I don;t want to go. It also
    makes me force myself to research more of the OPs' issues and offer
    the best answers I can, rather than assuming someone else's advice is
    correct.

    Again, Ralph, my apologies for taking your question beyond its
    intended breadth.

    Regards,
    Harrison (not my real name, just a character I admire for his
    determination to defy convention, question authority, and stand up for
    his beliefs)

    Harrison, Oct 26, 2003
  13. WeeWilly

    Liz Guest

    Asshole, I didn't say My Document folder, I said your documents
    and history -- located under the Start Menu. Idiot.

    Liz, Oct 26, 2003
  14. WeeWilly

    Mara Guest

    If it's bothering you, yes. Just remember, stupid people can't fight stupidity.
    Go for it. :) I've posted proof of shell folders - no more really need be said,
    and any other arguments he adds will only make himself look more inane.

    "Meet you out back in 5. Four 5,000-gallon storage tanks full of BEER!!1!! - my
    treat. :)"

    <snip>

    Mara, Oct 26, 2003
  15. WeeWilly

    Harrison Guest

    Did I once call you a name in my post?
    I merely questioned what you said.
    This entire thread has been about the My Documents folder.
    When you said "your documents", it was reasonable to assume that you
    meant your (meaning hey you...yes I'm talking to you) My Documents
    folder. Especially since you quoted my previous comments on the same.

    I apologize for my misinterpretation of your post.

    Harrison, Oct 26, 2003
  16. WeeWilly

    Liz Guest

    His pants on fire too! :)

    Liz, Oct 26, 2003
  17. WeeWilly

    Liz Guest

    What is the consequences of not flossing three times a day? :)
    They are just advice, not laws. Like I said, it's your computer,
    you decide.
    The XP tip suggested that you keep My Documents relatively small
    and use it only for documents that you are actively working with.
    My Documents folder is also the default folder when I download articles
    to read, I delete them when I done reading. I don't keep audio or video
    files in My Documents, Word & Excel aren't very large, so my folder
    is only 500 MB. :)

    Liz, Oct 26, 2003
  18. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    Why, just state that it isn't true; isn't that what you do?
    Somebody else who doesn't know how to search.
    You should be more interested in getting *your* facts straight.
    It's been proven for years, man!
    Oh, I thought you were *adamant* that it is a myth.
    All quotes from you, in this very thread:

    "The My Documents folder in XP works differently than in 98"
    ".. it is not necessary to worry about limits."
    "The myth does not apply to XP."
    "They're folders like any other folders."
    "No problem. Glad to get you back on the right track."
    "As I stated before, this is an unproven myth, and it certainly
    does not affect Windows XP."
    "My interest is in stopping the spread of misinformation and myth."
    "It's kind of like that old e-mail about AOL and Microsoft..."
    "It's simply unproven or straight-out untrue.."
    "I don't want to see it perpetuated without any substantial proof
    of its merit."
    "..I mean mysterious magical system file?"

    But merely proclaiming it a "myth" and "straight-out untrue" is
    proof that my statement is false?
    Proof is based on observable facts, amongst other things.
    Again, you prove you have NO idea about the topic you are
    talking about.
    It has NOTHING to do with system resources. Again, your ignorance.
    That's because your eyes are closed.
    Me too.
    So you have been reading my posts.
    Liar. Your agenda was plainly stated by you the other day.
    A wrong assumption there, bozo. Your response WAS personal.
    So, you admit it then.
    You had already proven your cluelessness, and had been advised
    to lurk and learn the group dynamics, before this point. Had you
    bothered, (but I suspect that you already knew anyway), you
    would have noticed how FAQs are a *very* contentious issue in
    this group.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Oct 26, 2003
  19. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    I was quoting from the Eddie post, but never mind. :)
    That'll do for me. :)

    °Mike°, Oct 26, 2003
  20. WeeWilly

    Mara Guest