    this step apply to XP? I find three folders called Shared Documents; Barbs
    Documents and Bills Documents. Is this the same thing? Sorry, I assume
    that it is the same thing.. but not sure.

    WeeWilly, Oct 24, 2003

  2. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    OOps.. I'm already embarrassed.. I looked at the side of the screen and
    there was My Documents.. HOWEVER, part of the question is still valid.. I
    think. Is it ok to let Shared Documents, etc build up?? Is it only My
    Documents that requires reduction in size?

    Thanks for putting up with this old man.

    Bill

    WeeWilly, Oct 24, 2003

  3. WeeWilly

    Harrison Guest

    The My Documents folder in XP works differently than in 98 and it is
    not necessary to worry about limits. I've got 685 MB in mine and am
    having no problems. The myth does not apply to XP.

    Each user in XP has a My Documents folder under C:\Documents and
    Settings\Username\My Documents.
    They're folders like any other folders.

    Here are some better links for information regarding XP.
    They are written by experts who have knowledge and experience with the
    operating system.

    http://www.windowsxpatoz.com/

    http://www.theeldergeek.com/

    http://www.tweakxp.com/

    http://www.winxpnews.com/

    Harrison, Oct 24, 2003
  4. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Thanks for this info... Bill

    WeeWilly, Oct 24, 2003
  5. WeeWilly

    Harrison Guest

    No problem. Glad to get you back on the right track.

    Harrison, Oct 24, 2003
  6. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    Since I'm in Harrison's bin, so can't reply directly to him,
    why don't you ask him how the My Documents folder works
    differently in Windows XP, and why it isn't necessary to
    worry about limits. The My Documents issue is not a myth,
    it is a reality, but not everybody is plagued by it. Also, more
    importantly, ask him to explain, in detail, what he means by
    the My Documents being just "like any other folders".

    °Mike°, Oct 24, 2003
  7. WeeWilly

    trout Guest

    Okay; I'll repost this to (hopefully) see the response. Strictly in
    the interest of Science, of course.
    <snip>

    trout, Oct 24, 2003
  8. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    I fully expect he won't (can't) answer it.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Oct 24, 2003
  9. On 24 Oct 2003, °Mike° wrote

    -snip-
    Looking at the current size of the "My Documents" folder -- 2.18 GB --
    I'm a bit concerned that mayabe I ought to find out what you guys are
    talking about....

    Could you point me to a link that explains the potential "My
    Documents" problem?

    (I've tried a bit of web searching, but so far am clearly not asking
    the right questions of The Most Honoured And Great God Google....)

    Harvey Van Sickle, Oct 24, 2003
  10. WeeWilly

    Mara Guest

    He actually said that?!?

    <BOGGLE>

    <snip>

    Mara, Oct 24, 2003
  11. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    Oh, yes.

    °Mike°, Oct 24, 2003
  12. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    I'd rather see if Harrison can provide proof that the problem is
    a myth, and that the 'My Documents' folder is the same as any
    other.

    °Mike°, Oct 24, 2003
  13. WeeWilly

    slumpy Guest

    threw back my head and roared with laughter as °Mike° continued:
    I'm not getting involved in any arguments as I haven't read this thread
    much, and don't know much anyway, but it occurs to me that if you try to
    delete my documents it tells you it's a system folder and cannot be
    moved. Strange behaviour for an ordinary folder.

    slumpy, Oct 24, 2003
  14. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    There's more reason than that, but I'll let Harrison explain
    how it's not true.

    °Mike°, Oct 24, 2003
  15. On 24 Oct 2003, °Mike° wrote
    Well, I'm not interested in that argument one way or t'other; all I'd
    really like -- honest -- is a link to some info on this. (My post
    wasn't a challenge of any sort, it was just a request for some pointers
    to where I might read up on this. I tried the MS Knowledge Base and
    did some googling, but I'm having no luck.)

    I've followed the link in your sig, where I found the following:

    "My Documents": Make sure that you do not have too many files, folders
    and sub-folders in 'My Documents'. Create new folders outside of 'My
    Documents' and move stuff to the new folders. The 'My Documents'
    folder is a special system folder, and there is a known issue in
    Windows, where too many files/folders within it can cause your system
    to become very sluggish.

    Again -- not a challenge, just an honest question -- is there a link to
    somewhere that discusses sizes -- "how many" are "too many files,
    folders and sub-folders"? -- and what is the issue that's known?

    A link for details? Anybody? Please?

    Harvey Van Sickle, Oct 24, 2003
  16. WeeWilly

    Mara Guest

    So noted. Gah.

    I would have substituted "whined" instead of talked given some of the latest
    whimperings I've seen through replies, but it's pretty much the same thing in
    this case.

    "Is this a PlAyD'oH clone?"

    Mara, Oct 24, 2003
  17. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    I understand you completely, but Harrison made a thinly
    veiled challenge to the validity of that information, and I'd
    rather wait to see IF he has the guts to back up his comments.
    In short, I'd rather not give him any leads.

    I will tell you one thing though, there is NO magic number, and
    no two systems act the same - some will never see any problems,
    no matter how many files/folders are in there. My maintenance
    page is geared towards people who *are* experiencing such
    system problems, and the 'My Documents' information is just one
    step that can be taken.

    °Mike°, Oct 24, 2003
  18. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    Watch this space.

    °Mike°, Oct 24, 2003
  19. WeeWilly

    Harrison Guest

    As I stated before, this is an unproven myth, and it certainly does
    not affect Windows XP.
    You'd probably find more concrete proof that bigfoot and nessie exist.

    Harrison, Oct 25, 2003
  20. WeeWilly

    °Mike° Guest

    Wrong. It is a proven fact.
    In other words, you're spouting off without knowing wtf
    you're talking about. Come on, back it up, moron.

    °Mike°, Oct 25, 2003