    wrong with my system.

    So my question: if there is a problem would it be in my sound
    card driver or where? I'm using Win98 1st edition.

    Fidcal, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Fidcal

    ICee Guest

    How MIDI sounds is entirely dependent on your sound card and what size
    sound font it uses. Unless you have a Sound Blaster Live or better
    sound card and a large instrument font (32 MB or larger), MIDI is not
    going to sound very good.
    To understand why, this link will take you to a site that explains what
    MIDI is:
    http://www.midi.com/questions/default.asp

    ICee, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Fidcal

    Fidcal Guest

    Thanks. My card *is* a cheap one admittedly. Also I now find the
    keyboard program is buggy. I have managed to get some other
    instruments on another version.

    Fidcal, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Fidcal

    ICee Guest

    Thanks for the update. I have a SB Live (Creative) sound card and use a
    64 MB sound font to play MIDI music files. The sound font contains
    digitized recordings of actual instruments, and the larger the file for
    each instrument (and collectively the font), the more realistic the
    sound will be. AFAIK, Creative's SB Live and Audigy sound cards are the
    only ones that can use large MIDI sound fonts (more than 8 MB, anyway).
    If you're interested in using MIDI and/or a software keyboard, consider
    one of the Creative sound cards. They are (relatively) inexpensive,
    starting at ~ $35 (U.S.).

    ICee, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Fidcal

    Fidcal Guest

    I'm going into town tomorrow to get a graphics card. I'll take a
    look at what sound cards they've got. :)

    Fidcal, Feb 2, 2004