    victor Guest

  2. victor

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Roger_Nickel, May 27, 2009

  3. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 27, 2009
  4. What a slippery character. Go Kathryn Ryan. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 27, 2009
  5. There is no deal with the State Services Commission, there has never been a
    deal with the State Services Commission. We have always been at war with
    Eurasia.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 27, 2009
  6. victor

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    He said it doesn't matter that the negotiation failed and that nothing
    changes---but it mattered enough that he, as manager of the company,
    would give a ten minute radio interview. Maybe he has more free time
    these days?. Kathryn Ryan---now she's a sharp one.

    Roger_Nickel, May 27, 2009
  7. He didn't even want to admit that there was anything _to_ "fail".

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 27, 2009
  8. victor

    news2.thing Guest

    The knock on effect could be quite dire....and its not just limited to
    proprietry software....ie RH's pricing model is tempered by MS's
    discounts.....then again other vendors who sit on top of or run in
    conjunction with MS might also start dropping their discounts. NZ is a
    small market so its take it or leave it....

    As said the managers had a duty and they have failed....

    regards

    Thing

    news2.thing, May 27, 2009
  9. In message <f28d36fe-5d95-4a2d-9047-
    That's what Rob O'Neill reckons
    <http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/DF390C6955506FB3CC2575C2007E58D4>--
    that this is a victory for Microsoft, at least in the short term.

    I'm not so sure. As Kathryn Ryan mentioned in that NTN interview, Government
    departments are all suffering cutbacks in their spending right now. This
    means they are simply not in a position to pay lots more money to Microsoft.
    The more it demands, the more they will be forced to consider alternatives,
    like Open Source.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 27, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 1, 2009
  11. victor

    Jack Spratt Guest

    "Microsoft's latest financial returns show that worldwide their Office Suite
    product returned net earnings of US $1.7 billion on sales of US$4.5 billion,
    while the operating systems they manufacture returned net earnings of US$2.1
    billion on sales of US $3.1 billion," he writes.

    Figures that Mr Christie and his Catalyst company could only dream about.

    Jack Spratt, Jun 1, 2009
  12. victor

    Jack Spratt Guest

    Not a bean.
    I can't ever remember having given MS a cent.

    Jack Spratt, Jun 2, 2009
  13. victor

    Peter Guest

    Millions of dollars from us tax payers, that our government is needlessly
    giving to that foreign corporation. Equivalent funds going to NZ IT workers
    supporting OSS would mean
    - more NZ jobs
    - improved balance of payments

    and many other benefits.

    Peter, Jun 2, 2009
  14. victor

    ~misfit~ Guest

    I bought two copies of Windows 95 the day it went on sale in NZ. ($250
    each?) It was a big step forward from WFW 3.11 / DOS 6.2.

    ~misfit~, Jun 2, 2009
  15. victor

    victor Guest

    I'd expect you got a fair number of freebies from Massey.
    Get a decent coffee machine.

    victor, Jun 2, 2009
  16. victor

    Peter Guest

    The ComCom recently accused NZ power companies of making excessive profits.
    They make gross profits of around 4 - 9% and ROE of 2 to 8%. By comparison,
    Microsoft makes 80% gross profit and 42% return on equity.
    http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/ratios?rpc=66&symbol=MSFT.O

    MS is getting massive profits. Where do you think this money comes from?

    You are correct that software licensing is not the only cost involved.
    However, you overstate the cost to change systems. I've seen people change
    to Mac or OpenOffice without any major issues at all. However, changing
    from MS Office 2003 to MS Office 2007 is more costly in terms of time and
    disruption to users.

    Peter, Jun 2, 2009
  17. victor

    Peter Guest

    Bollocks, please feel to prove any of that..... with FACTS not
    conjecture.
    ONE programmer at $60,000 pa will buy me about 700-800 copies of WinXp
    at OEM costs, or about 400 copies of MS Office (Bulk price at about $150
    either Win/OSX).[/QUOTE]

    Do you not believe that the millions of dollars that NZ government pays for
    licensing Microsoft software goes to Microsoft? Where do you think it goes,
    then?

    Peter, Jun 2, 2009
  18. victor

    victor Guest

    It should be kept in check by a fair tendering process.
    That is what is done in every other area of government expenditure, IT
    is no different.

    victor, Jun 2, 2009
  19. victor

    Jack Spratt Guest

    Our switch from Office 2003 to 2007 was relatively painless with the
    "ribbon" being the biggest factor.
    Bit of training and that was a thing of the past. We actually had to train
    less than we thought as many already had 2007 at home.

    Changing our OS or Office solution would be a task so huge (and costly) that
    I think I'd look for a new job rather than be part of that nightmare.

    Jack Spratt, Jun 3, 2009