    scanning like you do with AdAware or the other ones. If you don't
    recommend, which is the best free ad/spyware program out on the market?

    Thanks.

    Seeking Assistance, Mar 9, 2005

  2. On a regular basis I use:

    Adaware SE
    Spybot Search and Destroy
    MS Antispyware
    Spy Sweeper (30 day free trial)
    HijackThis
    CWShredder
    Spyware Blaster

    This is on many computers, not just one. But no single program does it all.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 9, 2005

  3. Thanks.

    Out of all the ones you use, which is your favorite? I had been using
    Adaware SE before I switched to Microsofts but I was just wondering.

    Seeking Assistance, Mar 9, 2005
  4. They each are different. HijackThis and CWShredder are specialized, not
    for general antispyware use. But I know you want to pin me or somebody
    on what is the best or favorite, so I'll just say the combo of Adaware,
    Spybot and MS Antispyware is my favorite. If I could choose just one,
    it'd probably be the MS pkg, but I'm not limited to just one.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Mar 9, 2005
  5. Seeking Assistance

    BIGEYE Guest

    I use the following on a regular basis and have had no problems for ages:
    Spybot S&D
    SpywareBlaster
    Adaware 6
    MS Anti Spyware
    Aluria Spyware Eliminator
    Kaspersky AV
    Trojan Remover.

    Be careful if you run Spybot S&D and you don't have XP SP2 installed. You
    may find DSO exploits. Deleting these with S&D can and does on occasions
    screw up your internet connection. DSO exploits attach themselves to Winsock
    and this goes with the delete. With SP2 it is not a problem.
    There is a registry fix for DSO exploits, Google for DSO exploits removal.

    BIGEYE, Mar 9, 2005
  6. Seeking Assistance

    Ray Guest

    There is also a DSO exploit fix for spybot on majorgeeks.com, click on
    spyware tools, and if I remember correctly it's labeled "Spybot - Search and
    Destroy DSO Exploit fix". Once you have that patch installed you don't have
    to worry about the DSO exploit problem anymore.

    Ray, Mar 9, 2005
  7. Seeking Assistance

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Or ignore it. MS patched the DSO problem a *long* time ago.

    Toolman Tim, Mar 10, 2005