    Norton found a virus in one of the compressed files. I know Microsoft
    wouldn't do that intentionally, or he's mistaken and it didn't come from
    that site.

    Lloyd Jones, May 18, 2004

  2. Lloyd Jones

    Duane Arnold Guest

    I cannot say it's impossible, but I kind of doubt it. It is recommended
    that sometimes the AV should be disabled during an install process.
    Sometimes the AV can produce a *false positive* hit during the process.

    You can certainly verify this if you like by doing a full AV scan after
    the download and install process to see it the AV detects anything, since
    it detected something during the download process.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, May 18, 2004

  3. Lloyd Jones

    Stuart Guest

    Did he happen to open an attachment in an email supposedly from
    Microsoft with a "Windows update" in it?

    Stuart

    Stuart, May 18, 2004
  4. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I think he said the virus is in quarantine, I'll ask him the name of it. He
    probably had it from another site though, or if it is a genuine virus from
    Microsoft pretty soon he'll be buying a Bently. LOL

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 18, 2004
  5. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Nope, he said he used the update button in the strat menu.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 18, 2004
  6. Lloyd Jones

    Stuart Guest

    Antivirus programs should always be turned off whenever any program is
    being installed as it can corrupt the installation by blocking access to
    system files. This may be the problem he has encountered, so do as Duane
    suggested and try it again with the AV turned off. If he has it
    quarantined then get him to look at the virus name and then do a search
    on the internet for more information about it.

    Stuart

    Stuart, May 18, 2004
  7. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    If you turn your anti virus off when you install every thing what happens if
    you get a virus. You'll be bugerd.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 18, 2004
  8. Lloyd Jones

    Thor Guest

    He should submit a copy of the suspect file to Norton then, so they can
    verify whether it truly has a virus, or if it is a false positive. False
    positives are known to occur. I remember one time that the beta of Acrobat
    Reader 4.0 installer once caused a false positive in Mcafee Virusscan, and I
    notified Mcafee of the issue, and they confirmed that it was a false
    positive, and released an interim definition update to fix the problem.

    Thor, May 18, 2004
  9. Lloyd Jones

    Thor Guest

    Manually scan the downloaded setup file PRIOR to running the setup program.
    If it scans clean, then it's reasonable to assume that it is safe to disable
    the antivirus program during the installation, as long as the program being
    installed comes from a trustworthy place, and not the seedier corners of the
    Internet.

    Thor, May 18, 2004
  10. Lloyd Jones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    Yeah, but the thing is when you download a update you cant scan it before it
    installs. I really can't see the Microsoft site having a virus but any
    thing is possible.

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, May 18, 2004
  11. Lloyd Jones

    Stuart Guest

    Try the different suggestions and then come back and tell us.

    Stuart

    Stuart, May 18, 2004
  12. Lloyd Jones

    Thor Guest

    You can if you download it from the corporate update site that allows you to
    save the updates to the drive and install them when you want. Nevertheless,
    I would not worry or suspect a MS update in the first place. It is so highly
    unlikely that it would be infected.

    Thor, May 18, 2004
  13. Lloyd Jones

    Plato Guest

    If he clicked on an email from "MS" to install updates and/or the latest
    "MS" email spoofs he got a nasty. Fools lots of people. MS doesnt send
    emails. Paypal didn't used to either, but now paypal is actually sending
    out real emails to update your account. You can get a spoofed paypal
    message and a real paypal message the same day. Funny thing, the spoofed
    fake paypal emails say the same thing, more or less.

    Plato, May 18, 2004
  14. Lloyd Jones

    Plato Guest

    Another thing that happens is that sometimes when you run a new program,
    your anti-virus may kick in and find a bug that's been on your PC all
    along.

    Plato, May 18, 2004
  15. Lloyd Jones

    Plato Guest

    I agree. For example, McAfee reports false positives when some folks try
    to make the old dos bootdisk images I have. Silly McAfee reports several
    old dos utilities as viruses. Makes you thing that nobody at McAffee has
    ever used dos.

    Plato, May 18, 2004
  16. Lloyd Jones

    VWWall Guest

    AVG always reports a virus in an old DOS program I wrote over twentyone
    years ago! It's still a useful program, else I'd have trashed it long
    ago. I just ignore the warning.;-)

    Virg Wall

    VWWall, May 18, 2004
  17. Lloyd Jones

    Plato Guest

    All apps tell you to turn in off in advance of installing. You're
    suppossed to scan _before_ you install.

    Plato, May 19, 2004
  18. Lloyd Jones

    Plato Guest

    Sure you can. Most updates can be downloading individually rather then
    doing a "live" update.

    Plato, May 19, 2004
  19. Lloyd Jones

    Plato Guest

    I'd have a better chance of getting aids from my 5 finger sex partner
    then MS having a nasty in their download.

    Plato, May 19, 2004