Microsoft Taking Open Source More Seriously?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 5, 2010.

  1. Microsoft has appointed its first “General Manager of Open Sourceâ€
    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/01/microsoft_open_source_gm/>. Unlike
    Sam Ramji, who was inside the “Server and Tools†division, this guy James
    Utzschneider reports directly to Microsoft’s COO Kevin Turner.

    The thinking is that by being in a senior, central position, Microsoft's
    work on open source won't get bogged down in the petty product-group
    politics of "we've got a better widget than they have". In theory,
    Microsoft can now develop a broader strategic approach to open source.

    Good theory. But in practice, how are they going to change the corporate
    culture, where the amount of funding each group gets is directly
    proportional to the amount of source code it controls? Open Source is about
    sharing code, but Microsoft’s own software doesn’t seem to work that way.

    “... I want the idea of Microsoft being proprietary and closed and not
    open to interoperating - I want that to disappear as an issue,†he said.

    This will have to be based on actions and not talk. By all means bring on
    the actions.

    This is also a reciprocal relationship to be had: Open sourcers are
    constantly looking for ways to make money, and Windows represents a
    large and entrenched platform for their applications to run on. Also, a
    growing number of Microsoft's army of SIs are working with Windows and
    open-source to deliver a finished product or services for customers.

    Sure, there is potentially a large market there. Except for the fact that
    it’s such a pain to get most open-source software running under Windows.
    Will CoApp make a difference to this? To prove its credibility, Microsoft
    will need to “eat its own dog food†here as well.

    He was careful to point out that those behind the Halloween memos have
    moved on from Microsoft.

    Except the guy who proclaimed “Linux is a cancer†hasn’t just not moved on,
    he’s still in charge of the company.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Apr 5, 2010

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest