    current balance is shown at every line.

    If this is the wrong group to approach, does anyone have other ideas, please

    Barry

    Barry, Feb 26, 2005

  2. Click on the empty box to the right of your first set of data, click
    Autosum and take it from there.
    You can copy this field by snagging it in the bottom right hand corner
    and dragging it down the sheet for each of the other lines of input.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 26, 2005

  3. Barry

    Gordon Guest

    "Autosum" won't give a RUNNING balance - all it does is autosum a single row
    or column.

    Gordon, Feb 26, 2005
  4. Barry

    Gordon Guest

    Assume the following: In in column A, out in Column B.
    In C1 type: =A1-B1
    In C2 type: =A2-B2+C1
    Highlight C2 and either drag it down the column or use autofill.

    HTH

    Gordon, Feb 26, 2005
  5. Barry

    SgtMinor Guest

    It would be easiest to use three columns for the data, one for items in
    (call it column D), the next (E) for items out, and the last (F) for the
    running total. The top cell in column F, cell F1, will hold the
    starting balance. Don't enter the items out as negative numbers.

    Below the top cell, enter this formula, without the quotation marks,
    "+F1+D2-E2" Copy the formula down the column as far as you want.

    Good luck, and don't forget Excel's help function, which you activate
    with the F1 key.

    SgtMinor, Feb 26, 2005
  6. But if you then go to the empty box at the bottom of column 3 and do
    Autosum again, it give a total.
    Down to the OP to play and learn.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Feb 26, 2005
  7. Barry

    Gordon Guest

    I see what you mean - I think the OP was after a running balance against
    each entry, rather like you get on a Bank statement......

    Gordon, Feb 26, 2005
  8. Howdy!

    Start off with the top line having the opening balance in the
    balance column.

    I'm going to presume that the balance is in F1, and that the change
    is in the "E" column.

    With that, the formula for the first cell is " = F1 + E2 "

    Copy that formula down, and it will show a running balance as long
    as you use negative numbers for withdrawals.

    If you're running two columns, deposits in E and withdrawals in D,
    say, then it's

    = F1 + E2 - D2

    And replicate that down.

    RwP