Microsoft shows off HD-DVD drive for Xbox 360

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by AirRaid, Aug 8, 2006.

  1. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    http://www.tinyurl.com/mh2so

    http://i.n.com.com/i/ne/p/2006/xbox0226_550x413.jpg
    http://i.n.com.com/i/ne/p/2006/xbox231_550x413.jpg

    By Greg Sandoval
    Staff Writer, CNET News.com

    Published: August 7, 2006, 6:50 PM PDT

    LOS ANGELES--Microsoft on Monday offered the first glimpse of an
    external HD DVD drive built for the Xbox 360 game console.

    Kevin Collins, senior program manager at Microsoft, demonstrated the HD
    DVD drive, which he said is scheduled to hit store shelves for the
    upcoming holiday shopping season, to attendees of the DVD Forum here.

    The device--about the size of a hardback book--played "The Phantom of
    the Opera" as Collins pulled up a menu bar to display a few of its
    navigation and interactive features that can be called up on screen
    while a movie is playing. Collins said Microsoft's HD DVD drive will be
    among the least expensive of the HD DVD players, but he declined to
    disclose the drive's retail price.

    "All the audio and video processing is done inside the Xbox," said
    Collins, who noted that research has shown that a majority of Xbox
    owners already own high-definition displays. An Xbox drive provides
    them with all the other equipment they need to watch HD DVD movies, he
    said.

    "This gives consumers choice and keeps their cost down," Collins said

    Microsoft has chosen to back the HD DVD format over Blu-ray. Both
    technologies are vying to replace the DVD format and are represented by
    consortiums that include electronics makers and Hollywood studios.

    Video game machines may prove to be a crucial battleground for the two
    formats, some observers predict.

    In November, Sony's PlayStation 3 is expected to debut equipped with a
    Blu-ray drive. In contrast to Microsoft's strategy to go with an
    external drive, PlayStation's drive will be built in.

    AirRaid, Aug 8, 2006

  2. well, if all the math is done in the console, then i don't see why this
    add on should go for more than 200.

    Pez D Spencer, Aug 8, 2006

  3. AirRaid

    Guest Guest

    I'm glad to see that this drive is going to be external. It would really
    suck of they did it internally and made an "HD Version" and screwed all of
    us "first gen" 360 owners haha.

    Guest, Aug 8, 2006
  4. AirRaid

    Unmutual Guest

    I'm confident that will happen some time and it would probably be a
    smart move for microsoft to do it sooner rather than later. Not sure it
    would bother me all that much as long as it didn't become a requirement
    for games.

    Unmutual, Aug 8, 2006
  5. AirRaid

    Tom Guest

    Not sure why it would screw us. We have the option of buying the
    external drive.

    Tom, Aug 8, 2006
  6. AirRaid

    Jordan Guest

    And if Blu-Ray does end up winning you just release a plug in Blu-Ray
    drive.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Aug 8, 2006
  7. AirRaid

    Jordan Guest

    External drive is for movies only, not for games. If they came out with
    an internal drive that was capable of playing games from HD-DVD we
    would be screwed.

    Of course, I guess, they could always do a dashboard or firmware update
    that allowed for gameplay from the external HD-DVD drive.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Aug 8, 2006
  8. AirRaid

    Tom Guest

    Screwed unless they decided to offer DVD and HD-DVD versions of games,
    with the DVD version being on multiple discs.

    I doubt this scenario though, both retailers and game companies
    wouldn't want the hassle of two media types to deal with.

    Tom, Aug 8, 2006
  9. AirRaid

    Ghost Guest

    so if the ps3 will cost around $500, why not buy a ps3 instead of a 360?

    Ghost, Aug 9, 2006
  10. Yeah, well, neither do consumers, but that hasn't stopped the studios
    and hardware manufacturers from sticking us right in the middle of their
    stupid HD-DVD/Blu-Ray format war.

    Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

    A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
    (The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

    "Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
    --LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

    "Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
    minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
    a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
    --me

    "This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
    --Tony Bourdain

    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
    but at the very least you need a beer."
    -- Frank Zappa

    "I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
    it's the best thing in the world."
    -- Alton Brown

    "The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
    that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
    wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
    prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
    this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
    the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
    all history."
    -- Robert Heinlein

    Geena Phillips, Aug 9, 2006
  11. AirRaid

    Tim Bird Guest

    If you've already got a 360 and the blu-ray drive (if they ever release
    one - HD-DVD loses for example) is only half the cost of a PS3 then you'll
    not want a PS3 will you?

    Tim Bird, Aug 9, 2006
  12. AirRaid

    David Parkes Guest

    Thats chuffin ugly

    David Parkes, Aug 9, 2006
  13. AirRaid

    Dub Guest

    Because that way you don't get stuck paying an extra $100-200 if you
    don't care about either format.

    Dub, Aug 9, 2006
  14. AirRaid

    Guest Guest

    Because the PS3 won't have Forza 2, Fable 2, Halo 3 and Perfect Dark Zero =P

    Guest, Aug 9, 2006
  15. AirRaid

    Jordan Guest

    The $500 PS3 isn't worth buying any more than the $300 360.

    Plus, the 360 is out now and actually has a decent library of games.

    - Jordan

    Jordan, Aug 9, 2006
  16. AirRaid

    Mattinglyfan Guest

    Awful lot of sequels there. How about you get into a pissing match when
    you've actually played the games you are bragging about. PDZ is not even
    one of the 10 best 360 games currently out. Anyway, someone will follow up
    with, "the 360 won't have .......... Socom, Jak, blah, blah"

    Mattinglyfan, Aug 9, 2006
  17. AirRaid

    Mattinglyfan Guest

    Except for the fact that the $500 PS3 has even more than the premium 360.

    Mattinglyfan, Aug 9, 2006
  18. AirRaid

    Mattinglyfan Guest

    Because the PS3 will utilize its format for games (which is why most people
    buy consoles) while the HD-DVD attachment is just a movie player.

    Mattinglyfan, Aug 9, 2006
  19. AirRaid

    Unmutual Guest

    Yeah....gotta love those long load times blue ray is gonna bring. ;-)

    Unmutual, Aug 9, 2006
  20. AirRaid

    Dub Guest

    The only thing the format will do for gaming is to enable more
    high-definition FMV scenes. That's it.

    Dub, Aug 9, 2006