Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for November 2004

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Brett Roberts, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. FYI here's the latest Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary. For those who are
    interested in keeping up-to-date on this stuff I would recommend checking
    out the links below to the monthly security newsletters and emails. If
    you're looking for more technical background on these security bulletins
    there is a link below to regular webcasts. I can also recommend
    www.protectmypc.co.nz for security-related information for home users to
    large businesses

    Brett Roberts

    Microsoft NZ

    Title: Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for November 2004

    Issued: November 9, 2004

    Version Number: 1.0

    Bulletin: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=37221

    ========

    This advisory contains information about all security updates released this
    month. It is broken down by security bulletin severity.

    Important Security Bulletins

    ===========================

    MS04-039 - Vulnerability in ISA Server 2000 and Proxy Server

    2.0 Could Allow Internet Content Spoofing (888258)

    - Affected Software:

    - Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0 Service Pack 1

    - Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration

    Server 2000 Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Internet

    Security and Acceleration Server 2000

    Service Pack 2

    - Microsoft Small Business Server 2000 (which

    includes Microsoft Internet Security and

    Acceleration Server 2000)

    - Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 Premium

    Edition (which includes Microsoft Internet

    Security and Acceleration Server 2000)

    - Impact: Spoofing

    - Version Number: 1.0

    Update Availability:

    ===================

    An update is available to address these issues.

    For additional information, including Technical Details, Workarounds,
    answers to Frequently Asked Questions, and Update Deployment Information
    please read the Microsoft Security Bulletin Summary for this month at:

    Support:

    ========

    International customers can get support from their local Microsoft
    subsidiaries. Phone numbers for international support can be found

    at: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx

    Additional Resources:

    =====================

    * Microsoft has created a free monthly e-mail newsletter containing

    valuable information to help you protect your network. This

    newsletter provides practical security tips, topical security

    guidance, useful resources and links, pointers to helpful

    community resources, and a forum for you to provide feedback

    and ask security-related questions.

    You can sign up for the newsletter at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/secnews/default.mspx

    * Microsoft has created a free e-mail notification service that

    serves as a supplement to the Security Notification Service

    (this e-mail). It provides timely notification of any minor

    changes or revisions to previously released Microsoft Security

    Bulletins. This new service provides notifications that are

    written for IT professionals and contain technical information

    about the revisions to security bulletins.

    - Click on Subscribe at the top of the page.

    - This will direct you via Passport to the Subscription center.

    - Under Newsletter Subscriptions you can sign up for the

    "Microsoft Security Notification Service: Comprehensive Version".

    * Join Microsoft's webcast for a live discussion of the technical

    details of these security bulletins and steps you can take

    to protect your environment. Details about the live webcast

    can be found at:

    www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/summary.mspx

    The on-demand version of the webcast will be available 24 hours

    after the live webcast at:

    www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/summary.mspx

    * Protect your PC: Microsoft has provided information on how you

    can help protect your PC at the following locations:

    If you receive an e-mail that claims to be distributing a

    Microsoft security update, it is a hoax that may be distributing a

    virus. Microsoft does not distribute security updates through

    e-mail. You can learn more about Microsoft's software distribution

    policies here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/topics/policy/swdist.mspx

    Acknowledgments:

    ================

    Microsoft thanks the following for working with us to protect

    customers:

    - - Martijn de Vries ()of Info Support for

    discovering and Thomas de Klerk () of

    Info Support for reporting an issue described in MS04-039.

    Brett Roberts, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Brett Roberts

    Bret Guest

    Unsolicited commercial posting from an employee of MS.
    Looks like spam to me, BG has declared war on spam, you will be taken out
    and shot in the morning.
    Any last requests :)

    Bret, Nov 9, 2004

  3. 1. Please explain the "commercial" aspect to me - the information is
    security-related and is not touting for "commercial" business
    2. I would assume that 99% of nz.comp first posts are "unsolicited"
    3. Please tell me your tongue was planted firmly in your cheek :)

    Brett Roberts, Nov 10, 2004
  4. Brett Roberts

    Bret Guest

    Hey Brett, I am a bastard but not a complete bastard, your post has value
    to many in the group.

    Bret, Nov 10, 2004
  5. there is no way somebody named Bret could be a complete bastard :)

    Brett Roberts, Nov 10, 2004
  6. Brett Roberts

    Bret Guest

    Well cheers for that Brett, I can be a bit abrasive at times, but try not
    to be too offensive, some times I fail :)

    Bret, Nov 10, 2004
  7. It seems like Wed, 10 Nov 2004 12:54:10 +1300 was when Bret
    I think it was more news than a commercial posting. After all, it
    wasn't forcing me to buy anything was it?
    PS - If you don't like the post, could you please snip it when you
    reply? Thanks.

    Waylon Kenning, Nov 10, 2004
  8. Brett Roberts

    Bret Guest