    zulabarr Guest

    I just got XP and like the Microsoft Picture and Fax Viewer. Does anyone
    know if you rotate jpegs within it if it is lossless or not?

    zulabarr, Feb 4, 2004

  2. I believe it is a lossless operation, if you have SP1.
    john

    John Rossbach, Feb 4, 2004

  3. zulabarr

    zulabarr Guest

    What is SP1?

    zulabarr, Feb 4, 2004
  4. zulabarr

    Don Guest

    Yes, but.... If you save the image again after rotating it, it will be
    recompressed with some additional introduction of JPEG artifacts.

    Don

    Don, Feb 5, 2004
  5. zulabarr

    Linda_N Guest

    Service Pack 1.

    Linda.

    Linda_N, Feb 5, 2004
  6. zulabarr

    Ron Hunter Guest

    YIKES! WinXP SP1 means WinXP with 'service Pack 1'. This the regular
    update and bug fix that MS makes available for new OS versions for a
    couple of years after they come out. IF you have bought your computer
    in the past 6 months or so, it is probably already installed. You can
    find out quickly by right-clicking on the My Computer icon and selecting
    properties. If you do not have SP1 then you should go IMMEDIATELY to
    the Windows Update site and get your machine updated with the latest
    security and bug fix patches.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 5, 2004
  7. zulabarr

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Not likely. Else there would be reason to call it 'lossless rotation'.
    I suspect the rotation is done on the compressed file, somehow.

    Ron Hunter, Feb 5, 2004
  8. It losslessly rotates the file in place, saving over the original. It doesn't
    introduce additional artifacts because it somehow works on the file in 16x16
    chunks, spinning each of the compressed chunks instead of decompressing,
    rotating, and recompressing.

    Ethan Trewhitt, Feb 5, 2004
  9. zulabarr

    JC Guest

    When I rotate a jpg file in MS Picture and Fax Viewer and then close, the
    rotated image is automatically saved. The file size changes, in my case
    from 783,218 bytes to 779,068 bytes after a 90 degree clockwise rotation.
    Using the Picture and Fax Viewer to rotate back to original orientation
    yields a 783,193 byte file. 0.003% size change.

    I tested a second jpg as above and got; 930125 original, 903939 rotated,
    906870 rotated back to original. 2.5% size change.

    I tested a tiff and got; 17985844 original, 17990668 rotated, 17985100
    rotated back. 0.004% size change.

    You can draw your own conclusions (because I'm not sure at this point!).

    -Jed

    JC, Feb 7, 2004