Microsoft Office

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by John, Oct 5, 2011.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I just wondered if there are any Office products/suites worth
    considering besides what Microsoft offer? Either free or paid but
    lower cost than Microsoft Office, but that allow compatibility with
    older Office files e.g. Word.doc and Excel.xls files etc? Or is
    Microsoft Office really the only decent product option to choose?

    I have been taking a look at just the basic Office Home and Student
    version with Word, Excel, OneNote and PP. I've not seen, used or heard
    of the OneNote product previously but it looks like it could be very
    useful for me.

    There's no outlook but I guess that's not a problem because I mostly
    use web based emails anyway and my isp account I can always just use
    thunderbird or something else for that as Outlook Express no longer
    seems to come with Windows 7. I don't really use Access that much and
    I have an older version I can always instal if I ever need to.

    Thanks,

    John

    John, Oct 5, 2011

  2. John

    tony sayer Guest

    Tried either Open office or Libre office?...

    tony sayer, Oct 5, 2011

  3. John

    Paul Guest

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libre_office

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_office_suites

    "Perfect compatibility" on office suites, is hard to find, even if you
    stick with only Microsoft products.

    If you need to "view" old documents, Microsoft offers free viewer applications
    so you can read documents given to you by other Microsoft users. That's
    about as much as I need here, for the odd document I might need to look at
    (like a user manual in .doc format). I have some version of Word Viewer, and
    a translator pack to convert newer docs into a format that Word Viewer uses.
    As tools like that move forward, they tend to lose the ability to view
    ancient docs.

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 5, 2011
  4. You should look at OpenOffice. It has a presentation that very closely
    matches MSOffice, and it claims to be fully compatible with MSoft.
    Basically, if you already know MSOffice, then the learning curve will be
    very short and you can open your existing files as well as share files with
    MSoft Office users.

    You do not get Outlook Express with Win7, as you have discovered, but you
    can get Windows Live Mail, or some such product, for free.

    As for installing the older version of Access, or any other database
    application for that matter, you may find that it is not compatible with
    Win7, and almost certainly not compatible with any version of Office that is
    compatible with Win7.

    I think your best option is to look at OpenOffice. It's free, and the source
    code allows developers to create tools that work like macros to do
    repetitive tasks for you.

    Jeff Strickland, Oct 5, 2011
  5. John embroidered on the monitor :
    Try OpenOffice
    http://www.freewarefiles.com/OpenOffice-org_program_2542.html

    I've used it to access new .docx Office files since I still have the
    old Office 2000 installed and it uses .doc

    It works for Win98-Win7 and I've seen it packaged in an older Ubuntu
    (Linux) distribution

    There is also a portable version for Win98-V
    http://www.freewarefiles.com/OpenOffice-Portable_program_19681.html

    It's not as good as the installed version, supposedly, but it's
    functional.

    If you don't like that, there is also LibreOffice
    http://www.freewarefiles.com/LibreOffice_program_69307.html

    good for Win9x-Win7, Mac, and Linux

    And there is also SSuite Office, which has a lot of different versions
    and lots of add-on programs you can get.
    (go to www.freewarefiles.com - plug SSuite Office into the Search,
    select Business/Organize)

    There is really no shortage of other options available at this or any
    other freeware site.

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim

    "Life is pleasant. Death is peaceful. It's the transition that's
    troublesome."
    - Isaac Asimov

    James D Andrews, Oct 6, 2011