Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0 on WindowsXP 64-bit edition

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Anthony LaMark, Apr 14, 2006.

  1. Hi All,

    I have loaded the MSAccess runtime onto a Windows XP 64-bit edition system.
    I have a Windows JScript that tries to open and read from the MDB (this code
    has been working on the 32-bit platform for a long time...I have listed the
    code snippet at the end of this post) but it fails when I issue the Open.
    The error message is -2146824582 "Provider cannot be found. It may not be
    properly installed.". Other note: I can double click the MDB file and open
    MSAccess interactively without any problems. So I think I just need the
    driver/provider for MSAccess. On my 32bit machine, if I look under the
    Adminstration Tools->Data Sources and click the "Drivers" tab, I can see a
    driver named "Microsoft Access Driver" which I do not see on my 64bit
    machine. After searching around the web, it seems that there are no
    odbc/mdac drivers for the Jet engine (MS-Access) on 64-bit. Is this still
    true today? If so, I guess I need to port to sql 2005 msde. And so my next
    question: is this option viable? Thanks in advance.

    var l_objConnection = new ActiveXObject("ADODB.Connection");
    var l_strDataBaseName = l_strDirectoryName + "MessageFilterDB.mdb";
    var l_strConnectionString = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" +
    "Data Source=" +
    l_strDataBaseName +";";
    l_objConnection.Open(l_strConnectionString);

    Anthony LaMark, Apr 14, 2006

  2. This might be of some assistance I hope:
    From Pascal Deliot:
    "It's important to understand which kind of DSN you have. On an x64 system,
    you can create an ODBC connection(DSN) on the 32-bit side of the system or
    on the 64-bit side of the system.

    32-bit applications will only see ODBC connections created in the 32-bit
    side, and 64-bits applications will only see ODBC connections from the
    64-bit side. Each kind of application has is own registry.

    To setup DSN for 32-bit application you must use:
    %WINDIR%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
    and for 64-bit application you must use:
    %WINDIR%\System32\odbcad32.exe"
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Apr 14, 2006

  3. After searching around the web, it seems that there are no odbc/mdac
    Yes.
    Not only viable, but suggested (by me anyways :) ).

    The only x64 ODBC drivers that come installed are for SQL Server (which
    will/should work with MSDE).
    I assume that OLE DB is similar (don't know for sure as all my desktop code
    is ODBC).

    cmk

    Chris Kushnir, Apr 14, 2006
  4. Anthony LaMark

    Guest Guest

    Very badly
    Most my work - *.mdb database and ODBC connetions 32 bit
    I uninstall so WindowsXP 64-bit edition an use 32 bit Windows bat i will use
    WindowsXP 64-bit edition

    answer please

    Guest, Apr 21, 2006
  5. Anthony LaMark

    billmiami2 Guest

    When will MS provide drivers for Jet 4.0 and others for x64? I assume
    that this must be in the works.

    Bill E.

    billmiami2, Apr 21, 2006
  6. Anthony LaMark