    but without success. Is there a Tool for this virus or worm so that I
    can eliminate it?
    thanks Fogar

    Fogar, Sep 19, 2003

  2. Fogar

    W.S. Blevins Guest

    Read and learn to use a search engine.

    W.S. Blevins, Sep 19, 2003

  3. Fogar

    kowts Guest

  4. Me too: many such Emails with long attachments purporting to originate from
    either MailerDaemon or Microsoft itself. You can recognise them by the long
    attachment , about 140kb, and the words Microsoft, Security, Bug, MS etc.

    I am able to read the sender/subject/length etc, and thus delete them before
    they actually enter my Email InBox.

    Ronald Alpiar, Sep 19, 2003
  5. Fogar

    Janusz Guest

    Ok,

    I have checked and no sign of it, but still getting shit loads of e-mails.
    Excuse swearing! If a friend had it, would they then be sending it me? i.e.
    I have not got virus, but mate ahs and that's what's sending everything?

    Janusz, Sep 19, 2003
  6. Fogar

    John \O\ Guest

    I've just received 20x odd Emails (Worms) stating their from Microsoft but
    not that I would've opened them anyway, Norton killed them all !!!

    DON'T OPEN ANY ATTACHMENT EVER FROM MICROSOFT AS THEY NEVER SEND OUT
    INDIVIDUAL EMAILS.

    JJ

    John \O\, Sep 19, 2003
  7. Fogar

    Janusz Guest

    It seemed as soon as I logged off MSN Mesenger - it all stopped, let's hope
    it does... I have Sophos and Kaspersky running now just in case

    Janusz, Sep 19, 2003
  8. Fogar

    HF Guest

    You are not alone. Since Microsoft is not likely to email you or any of us
    just block Microsoft in the message rules and a few other words like
    update,patch etc.

    HF, Sep 19, 2003
  9. Fogar

    Nate Goulet Guest

    I have the same problem, getting tons of these type of messages today.

    Are we all in agreement that this is because the computer checking the
    e-mail is infected with the Swen virus, or like many of the previous
    viruses, the e-mail user's address is listed in someone's else's
    address book who is infected?

    I checked my system registry, and didn't find a trace of the virus.
    I also haven't seen any pop up windows from Microsoft or anything like
    that.

    Nate Goulet, Sep 19, 2003
  10. Fogar

    len brauer Guest

    where does all this e/mail generate from is it just randomly sent from
    somewhere like spam mail? or is it generating from a friends computer
    which could be infected?

    just yesterday this stuff starting filling up my hotmail junk box and
    using up all my storage.

    --
    happy gardening

    http://home.dnet.aunz.com/gardnlen/

    len brauer, Sep 19, 2003
  11. Fogar

    Will Dormann Guest

    Why would you think you're infected if you receive an email?

    -WD

    Will Dormann, Sep 19, 2003
  12. Fogar

    Nate Goulet Guest

    Why would you think you're infected if you receive an email?
    Because someone on here posting about this problem posted this:
    So what's the deal, is our own computer necessarily infected if we're
    getting bombed with e-mails?

    Nate Goulet, Sep 19, 2003
  13. Fogar

    kurt wismer Guest

    Nate Goulet wrote:
    [snip]
    if you receive spam, does it mean you've already bought the product?
    no, of course not...

    just because you receive an email doesn't mean you've necessarily been
    affected in any way, shape, or form by that email...

    kurt wismer, Sep 19, 2003
  14. Fogar

    Adam Russell Guest

    However if a person has to ask the question "am I infected", I think it
    would be wise at this point for them to get a scanning program and find out
    for sure. They probably are not infected, but they could be. Obviously
    many are.

    Adam Russell, Sep 19, 2003
  15. Fogar

    Nate Goulet Guest

    That's what I would have thought, prior to reading that post.
    I think it threw me off a bit.

    Hackers are always learning new tricks, and it wouldn't surprise me if
    they found a way.

    Nate Goulet, Sep 19, 2003
  16. Fogar

    Thor Guest

    The latter.

    Thor, Sep 19, 2003
  17. Fogar

    Thor Guest

    someone who has your email address on his/her computer is infected.

    Thor, Sep 19, 2003
  18. Fogar

    len gardener Guest

    g'day thor,

    is there anyway of identifying who's computer it is coming from
    without opening up one of the e/mails?

    ta

    len

    snipped

    len gardener, Sep 20, 2003
  19. Fogar

    Thor Guest

    Often no, because lately many worms like this (and like Klez, Sobig, etc)
    spoof the sender's address with a random one selected from the infected
    machine's address book, IM clients, documents, etc. The only solution I know
    of apart from filtering software is to simply send out a blanket email to
    all your contacts, imploring them to check for viruses. Hopefully you'll get
    the person responsible to check their machine. But depending on the
    situation you might get lucky, and the inserted sender's address is actually
    the real sender. Check the message headers and see if you can identify a
    recognizable address in the header details.

    Thor, Sep 20, 2003
  20. Fogar

    len gardener Guest

    thanks thor,

    there is no way to id sender from the header, i have sent an em to who
    i think it may be but the blanket em seems the way to go.

    len

    snipped

    len gardener, Sep 20, 2003