Microsoft antispyware update version world wide fault

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ray Colvill, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. Ray Colvill

    Ray Colvill Guest

    i have been using it for a while and it seems usable.

    Was advised by a popup to upgrade the version about 7 days ago.

    i did that and installed version 1.0.701.

    now i find that it is not updating the definitions at all.

    Error message that it cannot detect an internet connection..yet
    all my other programs connect ok.

    reading Google messages i find it is a world wide problem.

    Yet the Microsoft support page says there is only newsgroup
    support and i had a hard job convincing the NZ 0800 800 004
    that if it is a world wide fault 7 days delay in a fix is ridiculous.

    Can readers send messages to MS and expedite a fix please.

    http://mail.spaminspector.com

    Ray Colvill, Dec 12, 2005

  2. Ray Colvill

    Dave Doe Guest

    Just opened mine and noted that spyware defs were updated automatically
    yesterday, Dec 11, @ 19:27:29

    Dave Doe, Dec 12, 2005

  3. Ray Colvill

    SteveM Guest

    Me too, updated today 1/2 an hour ago. running Ver 1.0.701

    Steve

    SteveM, Dec 12, 2005
  4. Ray Colvill

    XPD Guest

    Hmm Im having similar issue now that you mention it... just stops responding
    altogether.
    Weird.

    XPD, Dec 12, 2005
  5. Microsoft Antispyware is a beta software. If it's important then I recommend
    using Lavasoft Adware, or PCtools Spyware Doctor (not free, but very good).

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Dec 12, 2005
  6. Ray Colvill

    RayC Guest

    But if it is faulty put out a patch.

    It is obvious that the update has a fault with it.

    So you want me drop your company product and move to your opposition.

    That i shall do.

    RayC, Dec 12, 2005
  7. Ray Colvill

    Dave Doe Guest

    I don't think Mauricio owns Microsoft. I could be wrong.

    Dave Doe, Dec 12, 2005
  8. Ray Colvill

    XPD Guest

    Dont think he is either, but his sig kinda makes it look like he is ;)

    XPD, Dec 12, 2005
  9. Ray Colvill

    XPD Guest

    Windows must be a beta product as well, because of so many systems I come
    across not doing what theyre meant to.

    XPD, Dec 12, 2005
  10. I do not work for Microsoft. A Microsoft MVP is something different:
    www.microsoft.com/mvp

    What I wrote is that being a Beta software you should provide feedback to
    Microsoft directly, contact them.

    If you have a *production* environment and are concerned about security then
    you shouldn't be using Beta software at all. That was my point in the

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Dec 12, 2005
  11. Check what a MVP is: www.microsoft.com/mvp

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Dec 12, 2005
  12. Nope. Windows is a product with faults. People can report the faults, and if
    it's something MSFT has reported before on a bulletin you can probably find
    a fix for it - a hotfix or a monthly update.

    Every software has faults. Firefox has faults. That's why they introduced
    the automatic update in version 1.5. Linux has faults.

    Now, MSFT Antispyware is *beta* and is labeled as such. As I posted before,
    if not comfortable with beta, then people should use commecial software.
    Lavasoft has a free version and a paid version. PCTools Spyware Doctor has a
    paid version. If these software show faults, then you can complain, since
    they're final products. If a beta product has faults, then you complain to
    the development group, to help fix the product before its official launch in
    commercial version.

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Dec 12, 2005
  13. Ray Colvill

    XPD Guest

    And that just says "I know how to use Windows" like my A+ does...... :)

    XPD, Dec 12, 2005
  14. Ray Colvill

    Shane Guest

    A+ OS is vendor neutral (as far as thats possible in todays computing)
    and is only really concerned with basic configuration/installation
    :)

    Shane, Dec 12, 2005
  15. Hi Ray,
    there was a network fault over the weekend (US time) which caused update
    problems identical to those you experienced. The issue has now been
    rectified so updates should be working again now. Apologies for the hassles.

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Dec 12, 2005
  16. From https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/mvpexecsum

    "Microsoft's Most Valuable Professionals (MVPs) are recognized, credible,
    and accessible individuals with expertise in one or more Microsoft® products
    who actively participate in online and offline communities to share their
    knowledge and expertise with other Microsoft customers."

    The MVP community is incredibly important to Microsoft and even though they
    might not own the company they probably have just as much influence in many
    of the feedback and decision-making processes as the people who do :)

    Brett Roberts
    Microsoft NZ

    Brett Roberts, Dec 12, 2005
  17. Hmmm. In my case is Windows Mobile, you know, those little toys, gadgets ;0)

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Dec 12, 2005
  18. Hey Brett... Fancy that. If I knew of all this influence I'd have talked a
    little longer to product group leader during the last MVP Summit and
    arranged for an earlier Xbox 360 release in New Zealand ;-)

    Back to my cave now...

    Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Dec 12, 2005
  19. Ray Colvill

    Bret Guest

    They must be well paid seeing as they bare so "valuable".

    Bret, Dec 12, 2005
  20. News flash: the open source community isn't the only one on the planet made
    up of dedicated and enthusiastic people who don't receive monetary rewards
    for their efforts.

    Brett Roberts, Dec 12, 2005