    computer to lockup after booting. This fault is intermittent.
    How is it compared with, say, Zone Alarm Pro?
    Thanks

    Nick Withers, Feb 11, 2005

  2. It compares with Zone Alarm Pro the same way that pancakes compare with
    pinto beans, they're two different things entirely. I've had pretty good
    luck with MS Antispyware with nothing amazing nor anything horrendous to
    report. I've installed it on maybe twenty different machines so far,
    maybe thirty.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 11, 2005

  3. Nick Withers

    Rob K Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:53:01 -0500, Rôgêr wrote:
    OK that done, where do you think it can go ? Will it be able to take a
    substantial piece of the market, like the Windows Firewall vs. say Zone
    Alarm ?

    Rob K, Feb 12, 2005
  4. It's actually pretty good, but so far I still feel the need to run other
    antispyware programs to catch more stuff. It'd be great if there were
    one program that does it all, not found that yet. I'm sure that there'll
    be a fair number of people who buy it because MS is selling it, but
    since it's not bundled (yet) with Windows it won't make that big of a
    dent initially. It's free for now, but when it gets out of beta it will
    be retail software. I deal with a lot of users and I've found the
    success rate skyrockets when getting people to use and update antivirus
    and antispyware when I can say "and there's no charge at all for it."

    The antispyware I use regularly:

    Adaware SE
    Spybot S&D
    MS Antispyware (beta)
    Spy Sweeper (30 day trial)

    Spybot lets you "immunize" the system for protection from future
    problems. Spy Sweeper and MS Antispyware run all the time protecting
    your computer so they're both reactive and proactive.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 12, 2005
  5. Nick Withers

    Rob K Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 19:41:00 -0500, Rôgêr wrote:

    FWIW, SpySweeper IMHO has too large a footprint for "older" systems and
    I'd welcome some sort of basic protection as MS seems to provide with
    their Antispyware. Other than that, we're on the same wavelength.

    Rob K, Feb 12, 2005
  6. Nick Withers

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Rob K wrote:
    | > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 17:53:01 -0500, Rôgêr wrote:
    | > <snip>
    | >
    | >>I've installed it on maybe twenty different machines so far,
    | >>maybe thirty.
    | >

    | > OK that done, where do you think it can go ? Will it be able to take a
    | > substantial piece of the market, like the Windows Firewall vs. say Zone
    | > Alarm ?
    |
    | It's actually pretty good, but so far I still feel the need to run other
    | antispyware programs to catch more stuff. It'd be great if there were
    | one program that does it all, not found that yet. I'm sure that there'll
    | be a fair number of people who buy it because MS is selling it, but
    | since it's not bundled (yet) with Windows it won't make that big of a
    | dent initially. It's free for now, but when it gets out of beta it will
    | be retail software. I deal with a lot of users and I've found the
    | success rate skyrockets when getting people to use and update antivirus
    | and antispyware when I can say "and there's no charge at all for it."
    |
    | <snip>

    I also have been installing MS Antispyware on multiple computers. I do hope
    MS has the brains to alert the beta users when the retail version is
    available, and that the idiots ... errr ... my customers .... are smart
    enough to subscribe and pay for it. Most of the idi..err..users I have to
    deal with aren't smart enough to update their software (Spybot S&D, AdAware,
    SpywareBlaster, etc.) and run it. I like the automated interface Giant
    wrote, and MS stole...errr...bought. It's like auto-updating AV
    software...the more automatic, the better.

    Toolman Tim, Feb 12, 2005
  7. Nick Withers

    BIGEYE Guest

    I ran Windows Update and installed Malicious Software removal thingy, then
    restarted my pc (it didn't tell me to restart, I just done it).
    Anyway, no new icons are in my taskbar to show that it is running in
    background and nothing new on my start menu. What should I be looking for to
    run/configure the program?

    BIGEYE, Feb 12, 2005
  8. Nick Withers

    BIGEYE Guest

    I have found the reason why nothing happened.

    BIGEYE, Feb 12, 2005
  9. Nick Withers

    PuppyKatt Guest

    Care to share? I would like to know why mine does not run.

    PuppyKatt, Feb 12, 2005
  10. The MS malicious spyware removal tool executes when downloaded and then
    deletes itself from your system. It doesn't stick around. It's an entirely
    different tool from the MS Anti-Spyware product.

    Oxford Systems, Feb 12, 2005
  11. Nick Withers

    Ionizer Guest

    " The version of this tool delivered by Windows Update runs in the
    background and then deletes itself. If you would like to run this tool
    more than once a month, use the version on this Web page or install the
    version that is available in the Download Center."

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Feb 12, 2005
  12. Nick Withers

    Ionizer Guest

    Another anti-spyware tool which incorporates the same Microsoft spyware
    database: http://www.sunbelt-software.com/product.cfm?id=410 A 15-day
    free trial is available.

    If the Microsoft Antispyware is causing you troubles, a free alternative
    is AdAware from Lavasoft: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/

    Regards,
    Ian.

    Ionizer, Feb 12, 2005
  13. Nick Withers

    tcg Guest

    I've DL'ed it twice from Window Update. It shows up twice as a successful
    install on my installation history but I've never been able to locate or use
    the program even after a successful DL and install. I'm using XP with
    Service Pack 1. MS$ recommends this install for SP1.

    tcg, Feb 12, 2005
  14. Nick Withers

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | | > What is the general opinion about this program?
    | > I find that it takes forever to load and I suspect it may be causing my
    | > computer to lockup after booting. This fault is intermittent.
    | > How is it compared with, say, Zone Alarm Pro?
    | > Thanks
    |
    | I've DL'ed it twice from Window Update. It shows up twice as a successful
    | install on my installation history but I've never been able to locate or
    use
    | the program even after a successful DL and install. I'm using XP with
    | Service Pack 1. MS$ recommends this install for SP1.

    MS Antispyware Beta1 is *not* on Windows Update. What are you talking about?

    Toolman Tim, Feb 12, 2005
  15. Nick Withers

    BIGEYE Guest

    You must be talking about Windows Update Malicious spyware remover. During
    the update it checks to see if you have a genuine Windows XP installed. If
    not then the update does not install.
    Antispyware is a different thing altogether and is readily available as a
    beta version. I would expect that we will have to pay for it sometime in the
    near future.

    BIGEYE, Feb 12, 2005
  16. No, you haven't.

    Oxford Systems, Feb 12, 2005