Microsoft Access Internet Replication to WinSBS2003 via VPN

Discussion in 'Broadband Hardware' started by Stuart Lowe, Jan 30, 2007.

  1. Stuart Lowe

    Stuart Lowe Guest

    I need some help in getting internet replication working across my VPN. I
    have it working 95% except for SENDING of data from the Client to the Server
    across a VPN.

    This is the setup.
    The server is a Windows 2003 Small Business Server (win2003SBS) with only
    One NIC.
    The Client Workstation is a Windows XP SP2 (WinXP2) Desktop PC.

    When i connect with the WinXP2 workstation across the LAN the synch works
    perfectly. OK. :)

    However when i disconnect this WinXP2 Pc from the lan, connect to the
    internet using my modem, then connect to the Win2003SBS server using the VPN
    connection, this connects successfully. I am using the same username and
    password as setup under Active Directory Users.

    I test the Internet Replication and the following work:
    - Test communication Link - Works OK. :)
    - Receiving Data - Works OK. :)
    The Sending Data FAILS :-(
    Thus the Send and Receive data will also fail.
    The Rep...msg files appear on the server in the dropbox, but no Jet...tmp
    files.

    Eventually after about 2 mins the messages "Failure to write to an internet
    handle" or "Internal Internat failure" appear.
    Is it that the file MSTRAI40.EXE is not being run? why does it work on the
    LAN then?

    I therefore deduce that the IIS permissions are setup correctly.

    I have also activated a dyndns account to map to the server. The ip address
    therefore is dynamic.

    The VPN server is behind a Router acting as a DHCP server and Firewall.
    I have opened up Port Forwarding on the following ports, and mapped them to
    the LAN IP address of the server (as i have only one NIC), but still have the
    same problem.

    Ports forwarded:
    80 (HTTP)
    1723 (PPTP)
    498-502 (IPSEC-ESP)
    42 (NameResolution )
    50-51 (Ports 50-51)
    443 (HTTPS)
    129 (Port129)
    23 (TELNET)

    Some of the above are not really necessary but have left them there for
    testing purposes. I am using a NETGEAR RP614v3 Router connecting to a
    wireless ADSL Modem.

    Do i have to specify a DMZ server??

    Stuart Lowe, Jan 30, 2007

  2. Stuart Lowe

    Chris H. Guest

    You'd be better off asking about your issue in perhaps the
    microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web newsgroup or perhaps an SBS server
    newsgroup. This newsgroup supports Microsoft's Broadband Networking brand
    hardware and software only.

    Chris H., Jan 30, 2007