  1. joy

    -=rjh=- Guest

    You're not listening...

    -=rjh=-, Apr 1, 2005

  2. Why, thank you Roger, now that you have enlightened me I will go and
    stick my head in the toilet where it apparently belongs.

    Egad, one would expect a minimum of manners from someone your age :(

    *plonk* yet again.

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Apr 1, 2005

  3. Manners from Bill Bullshit? You'te joking, of course!
    The only manners you'll get from him are surly or whiney.

    --
    Regards,
    Nicolaas.

    2005 Pricelessware CD now available.
    Pricelessware - the best of the best in freeware, as determined by the
    readers of alt.comp.freeware.
    E-Mail me for details: - mention CD in subject.

    .... Those who know, know who knows.

    Nicolaas Hawkins, Apr 1, 2005
  4. joy

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    Sorry,
    the link should be
    http://mpgravity.sf.net

    Fred Bloggs, Apr 1, 2005
  5. joy

    Fred Bloggs Guest

    Nah that can't be right
    After all you don't use it

    Fred Bloggs, Apr 1, 2005
  6. joy

    Rob J Guest

    It's a free newsreader package.

    There are a number of free newsreaders. My rankings for them would be:

    1=. Microplanet Gravity
    Current open sourced version of a commercial package (developers went out
    of business). Completely free.

    2=. 40tude Dialog
    A very interesting Forte Agent clone. Nicely packaged. Free for personal
    use.

    3. Free Agent
    Free version of the Forte Agent newsreader. Still uses horrible Windows
    3.1 style idiosyncratic user interface. Not as automated as Gravity.
    Limited functionality in the free version. Like Gravity, Agent was sold
    off by its original developers and later bought back.

    4=. Mozilla / Thunderbird
    Lacks the customisation / user options capabilities of preceding
    products.

    5=. Outlook Express / Outlook News Reader
    Better options than Thunderbird, but less secure.

    6. XNews
    Interesting product but not as well developed in functionality as the
    first three listings, e.g. lacks keyboard shortcuts.

    There are a number of others like NewsXpress, which only got to 2.0
    before development stopped, and that was about 1996. You can still get
    them from some sites.

    Rob J, Apr 2, 2005
  7. joy

    Mike Dee Guest

    Erm.. any particular keyboard shortcut you can think of?

    Mike Dee, Apr 3, 2005
  8. joy

    Rob J Guest

    Gravity, Agent and Dialog (and possibly Thunderbird as well) all support
    single key navigational shortcuts.

    I remember the old Outlook Express and its predecessors required you to
    press Ctrl key combinations which required two fingers or hands.

    XNews, when I looked at it, offered a nice little toolbar, but shortcuts
    for Next or Previous article were missing.

    Looking at Gravity, here is some of the more commonly used ones:

    Go to the Next Article (Down) D
    View Next Unread in Thread E
    Go to the Previous Article (Up) U
    Next Local Article B
    Next Unread Article N
    Page Down or Next Article Space
    Move to Next Pane Tab or F6
    Refresh Current Group F5
    Switch to the Newsgroup pane 1
    Switch to the Thread pane 2
    Switch to the Article pane 3
    Delete Selected Articles Del
    Mark the Selected Articles as Read K
    Watch Thread W
    Ignore Thread I
    Tag Selected Articles for Retrieval T
    Post a New Article P
    Reply by e-mail R
    Follow Up to the Current Article F
    View Binary V
    Add Score Entry S
    Collapse Selected Thread -
    Expand Selected Thread +
    Refresh Displayed Group F5
    Toggle Display of Full Headers H
    Toggle Muting of Quoted Text Q

    Rob J, Apr 3, 2005
  9. joy

    Windows User Guest

    Free agent is free

    Windows User, Apr 3, 2005
  10. joy

    Mike Dee Guest

    And so does Xnews
    No hands? What did you press your 'single key' commands with? Or do you
    mean, you require two hands to perform some menial task?

    Xnews has a few Ctrl key combos but most are single key, besides, Xnews
    is very highly configurable AFA keyboard shortcuts are concerned.
    Yes well, if (the last time you looked at Xnews) you had spent some
    time holding a cursor above the "nice little toolbar" you may've
    noticed a few of those single stroke keyboard shortcuts pop-up into
    onboard "help balloons".
    Looking at Xnews, here are some of the more commonly used ones:
    Go forward Alt + right (user config to single key)
    Go previous Alt + left (user config to single key)
    / Goes to next unread, same as next unread in thread, as messages are
    always threaded in Xnews.
    F5
    To refresh all subscribed groups, Ctrl+F5
    ditto [
    and so on...

    In Xnews, if there isn't a [default] keyboard menu command to your
    liking, then you [Alt+K] and change it.

    Mike Dee, Apr 3, 2005
  11. joy

    BILL Guest

    Agent is not free..

    BILL, Apr 3, 2005
  12. joy

    Invisible Guest

    No shit?

    Invisible, Apr 3, 2005
  13. joy

    Rob J Guest

    OK, I've had another look at XNews.

    I'd say therefore the primary limitation of XNews is that it is not an
    offline reader. All of the other products mentioned are capable of being
    used offline. They are therefore very useful for people using shared
    phone lines on dialup.

    Dialup handling is best supported in Gravity, Agent and Outlook Express.
    Dialog can be extended with scripting to provide semi automatic support
    of dialup. Mozilla relies on the system dialler but can be configured to
    go offline. XNews does not have an offline mode.

    Rob J, Apr 3, 2005
  14. heh, you could have restrained yourself... I notice that you didn't
    reply to "Free agent is free" which was another stupid comment... if it
    werent free, it'd be called just "Agent".

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Apr 4, 2005
  15. joy

    Joy Guest

    I'm surprised you know the name yet couldn't find out what it was.
    http://lightning.prohosting.com/~tbates/gravity/start1.html[/QUOTE]

    I'm not good at finding things on the internet and I did look for five
    minutes before posting this question.
    So now you know I'm useless at searching.
    I came across it after checking the properties of some posts.
    Joy

    Joy, Apr 10, 2005