Microphone isn't working

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Guest, Oct 12, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Operating System: Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (5.2, Build 3790)
    Service Pack 2 (3790.srv03_sp2_gdr.070321-2337)
    System Manufacturer: Shuttle Inc
    System Model: SN25V10
    BIOS: Default System BIOS
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+, ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 1024MB RAM
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)

    Driver Name: Envy24HF.sys
    Driver Version: 5.12.0001.3652 (English)
    Driver Provider: VIA - IC Ensemble, Inc.

    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
    Display Memory: 128.0 MB
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0011.6371 (English)

    Motherboard: Shuttle FN25 Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64 Processor Based DDR
    Mainboard

    I recently purchased a headset with microphone and I can't get it to record
    or show voice in game. The headphones work and the microphone is plugged in
    the right port. I've checked all the sound settings and can't find any reason
    that it wouldn't work.

    I've tested it on another system and it works fine.

    I have Windows XP Pro. 64bit Edition, and a Shuttle SN25P system with a VIA
    Vinyl Envy24PT PCI Audio Controller. As best I can find I have all the latest
    drivers.

    I just have the normal Sound in Control Panel and nothing is muted.

    Audio/Sound Recording has Mic selected under Volume and with it set at the
    top.

    Sound/Volume/Device Volume/Advanced -- lists a large range of volume
    controls but the only Advanced is under Mic. Which just has Bass/Treble
    greyed out and 20dB Boot and Set To Front Mic, both selected. I've tried it
    with each/both unselected also.

    I've tried testing the mic with Sound Recorder but have gotten nothing.

    I've also tested with HL2:Insurgency Mod with the Voice enabled.

    Voice recording has a Hardware test but that always gives a network error
    saying "There are no suitable networking devices installed." "Windows cannot
    execute DpvSetup.exe, use Add/Remove Programs control panel to install." I
    have the lastest DirextX drivers.

    "DxDiag" / 64bit / Network / Direct Play Voice Options / Run Wizard - "The
    DirectPlay Voice Wizard failed with error code 0x80158320."

    "DxDiag" / 32bit / Network / Direct Play Voice Options / Run Wizard - Puts
    me to a screen asking me to test my mic by speaking the stated text, while
    doing so nothing changes and if I hit the volume button it gives the error
    "Windows cannot execute SndVol32.exe, use Add/Remove Programs control panel
    to install." and trying to go to the next page stops the wizard as my mic
    hasn't picked anything up.

    I've looked at the MS KB and carried out the instructions about changing the
    registry DWords to 3/3/2 respectively and nothing has changed.

    My brother has the same sort of system and same OS and can't get a
    microphone to work either.

    I've also posted in the VIA Arena and PlanetAMD64 forums and emailed Shuttle
    without any resolution.

    Guest, Oct 12, 2007

  2. Guest

    Guest Guest

    Robert:
    A tough question, but a such comprehensive description of the problem
    deserves at least a response.
    #1 - Make sure you have the latest XP x64 drivers that can be downloaded here
    http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx?PageID=420&OSID=2&CatID=2450&SubCatID=107
    You will also find there a box with "Scan Computer for Driver Updates", and
    the usual Download button that will give you this file:
    http://www.viaarena.com/Driver/Envy24_Family_64 Bit Drivers_V460b.zip

    # 2 - Make sure you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard

    # 3 - I have seen in some motherboards that the audio connectors can have
    two different functions according to the quantity of speakers selected. I
    mean, something that is an input can become an output under certain
    circumstances. Do you have your motherboard's manual in order to see whether
    the mic input is exclusive or can be used as an output (and that might be the
    cause why it is not working)?

    Best of luck!
    Carlos

    Guest, Oct 12, 2007

  3. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I've got the latest drivers, even the update through Microsoft Update. I
    tried the Free Scan from VIA Arena ... it doesn't support 64bit OSs.

    The last time I tried updating the bios the program wouldn't let me because
    it didn't work with 64bit OSs. I'm downloading it again to try.

    I have the manual but no idea how to check that.

    Guest, Oct 12, 2007
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    What I really need to do is find someone with a Shuttle SN25P with Windows XP
    Professional 64bit who's microphone DOES work and figure out what the
    differences are if any.

    Guest, Oct 12, 2007
  5. Usually, flashing your BIOS is done by booting fresh right into the flash
    utility (DOS - Command-Line!) and executing by typing commands - the site
    that carries the BIOS Updates will also have instructions. A few
    manufacturers do have a utility that can execute from within your OS, but
    this is rare and you shouldn't expect a 64bit tool. The safe way to do it is
    from the comman-line! Read carefully the complete BIOS section of the
    motherboard manual and make sure you understand the flashing procedure that
    they are employing. There is nothing Universal about that, each motherboard
    may be different in this respect. If you do not have the manual it can
    usually be downloaded from the manufacturer's web-site.

    Also, make sure the chip support for the Mic. is enabled in the BIOS Setup.

    As for the Mic. itself, have you tried opening the mixer control? The volume
    may be turned down to = 0!!!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 12, 2007
  6. Guest

    Guest Guest

    As far as I can see I have the latest BIOS.

    There is nothing about Sound/Audio/Microphone's in BIOS.

    I've check all the sound control panel options and tried all the possible
    settings.

    Guest, Oct 12, 2007