---Micro$oft Wins 'Tabbed Browsing' Patent---

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by skfghfjh, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. skfghfjh

    skfghfjh Guest

    skfghfjh, Sep 13, 2004

  2. skfghfjh

    Sylvia Else Guest

    Sylvia Else, Sep 13, 2004

  3. I'm trying to think back that far.... but I'm fairly certain that Mosaic and
    Netscape both tabbed through links before IE was even invented. I'm about
    99% sure that Linx has always done it. I don't think it will hold up.

    --
    -Mike
    The Shareware Junction Network

    The Shareware Author's Vault: Big corporate treatment for shareware authors.
    SharewareAuthor.com allows independent software authors and producers to
    band together to negotiate discounts and deals on products, services,
    software submission and advertising that we wouldn't normally get
    individually.
    Membership is free - sign up at http://www.sharewareauthor.com/thevault

    Shareware Junction, Sep 13, 2004
  4. If patenting shit that's been around for years is innovation, then their
    *other* very recent patent for the *doubleclick* showed "innovation".

    Blinky the Shark, Sep 13, 2004
  5. skfghfjh

    Andrew Guest

    That is rediculous. How can they patent something as simple as that.

    I don't think patents should be allowed after the invention has started
    being used by others. You should patent it and then release it to the
    world.

    I'm going to patent puting one foot in front of the other and call it
    "walking".
    Just as a defence of course in case they try to sue me for it later ;-)

    Andrew, Sep 13, 2004
  6. skfghfjh

    Sylvia Else Guest

    It isn't, but this patent was filed in 1997.

    Still, the real problem is that the Patent Office persists it granting
    patents on things that are blindingly obvious, simply because the
    language used tends to make them seem less so.

    Somewhere in there, there's supposedly a patent on an ordinary garden
    swing, obtained by a Pattent Attorney (rich, presumably) as an
    instructional exercise for his son.

    Sylvia.

    Sylvia Else, Sep 13, 2004
  7. skfghfjh

    Jim Berwick Guest

    I really doubt this would hold up in court, as I believe Mosiac did
    tabbing, and I'm positive that Lynx did tabbing before 1997 also.

    Jim Berwick, Sep 13, 2004
  8. There are many software based patents that would not stand up to any
    objective test.

    Howard Kaikow, Sep 13, 2004
  9. skfghfjh

    John Corliss Guest

    It is to wonder why they bother doing it. I guess it's to make others
    avoid using a feature out of fear that they'll get sued in the future.
    This would make competing software that backs down operate at a
    disadvantage. The trick probably works too, especially after the
    trashy Caldera-Linux lawsuit putting everybody on edge.

    And we move one step closer to total anarchy.

    John Corliss, Sep 13, 2004
  10. skfghfjh

    Joel Rubin Guest

    Is that like the situation in the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    where the HHGG was sued for copying the back of a breakfast cereal
    box, they went back in time, copyrighted it, and then sued the
    breakfast cereal company for violating their copyright?

    (By the way, BBCR4 is going to bring out a new HHGG series next week
    and it will be available in RealAudio, both at broadcast time and on
    demand. I believe KCRW.ORG near Los Angeles still has all the old
    series on demand.)

    Joel Rubin, Sep 13, 2004
  11. skfghfjh

    Predator Guest

    more likely to prevent a small company that holds the patent to use them. I
    don't think you've heard of the EOLAS patent case, basically they sued
    microsoft for half a billion dollars for something simple as downloading and
    executing a control from a webpage (yes that was the patent). And they won.
    Microsoft is appealing right now but ever since that time they've been on a
    patent shopping spree patenting every little thing they can find.

    The patent problem isn't a microsoft problem, it is the patent office
    granting stupid patents and causing all sorts of trouble

    Predator, Sep 13, 2004
  12. skfghfjh

    Ed Guy Guest

    Too late. I just patented putting one foot on the ground (I called it
    "standing on one leg") [grin]

    Yours is obviously a derivative work.

    --
    Ed Guy P.Eng,CDP,MIEE
    Information Technology Consultant

    Ed Guy, Sep 13, 2004
  13. Even if a patent is unenforcable, that wouldn't keep them from using it. By
    targeting small- to medium-sized companies with enough money to settle, but
    not enough money to fight, MS could reap the rewards by collecting royalties
    without having their patent challenged in a court of law. That's how these
    things usually play out. :-\

    Shareware Junction, Sep 13, 2004
  14. Ouch, then I am about to violate your patent.
    In less than two hours I am scheduled to have oral surgery.
    I expect hat a side-effect will be to remove my foot from my mouth, so I'll
    then be able to say "I have a leg to stand on".
    Would that not violate your patent?

    Howard Kaikow, Sep 13, 2004
  15. skfghfjh

    Boris Yankov Guest

    Only if you omit the fact that Microsoft bought the Mosaic technology
    and based IE v1 on it. So maybe they are basing their patent on that?

    Anyway who the f**k cares?

    ---
    Boris Yankov
    http://www.virtuoza.com
    ICQ: 43217569
    Blog: http://www.borisyankov.blogspot.com

    Smart ToDo - a new breed of organizer.
    InControl - a startup manager for the masses.
    The Time Master - the ultimate time management.

    Boris Yankov, Sep 13, 2004
  16. And APL+/PC's help system allowed you to tab through links and hit
    enter to follow one back in the 1980's.
    Not only blindingly obvious, but with a decade or more of prior art.

    Seth

    Seth Breidbart, Sep 13, 2004
  17. skfghfjh

    Bob Adkins Guest

    Your example is spot on. This ridiculous patent escalation must stop, along
    with all the frivolous lawsuits.

    -- Bob

    Bob Adkins, Sep 13, 2004
  18. skfghfjh

    Alex Heney Guest

    Anybody with sense.

    This means that producers of other internet browsers now have to find
    the money to either pay M$ licensing fees, or to fight them in court.

    Either of which means they aren't spending as much on development and
    support as they could be, which costs everybody using browsers other
    than IE, in the long run.

    Alex Heney, Sep 13, 2004
  19. skfghfjh

    Sylvia Else Guest

    Legal action is a twin edged sword for Microsoft, though. If they pursue
    an action against someone stubborn enough (eg, me), they risk losing, in
    which case their patent is worthless for use against easier targets.

    Sylvia.

    Sylvia Else, Sep 14, 2004
  20. skfghfjh

    Rod Speed Guest